Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Codes on all 4 coils with no end in sight (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/codes-all-4-coils-no-end-sight-32768/)

Travis Davis 09-02-2021 08:14 PM

Re: Codes on all 4 coils with no end in sight

Will do. I saw the options in there while I was working on the other codes. Do you know of any videos or articles on the procedure?

S Keith 09-02-2021 08:31 PM

Just select it and follow the prompts. It's all automatic. Turning on the interior A/C (MAX without ECO) will ensure the engine stays running through the process.

AlexK 09-04-2021 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Travis Davis (Post 273595)
FIXED!!! It was a bad ignition relay. Runs great now! Thank you again for all the help!

Miracles in the wild! That's great!

econoline 09-04-2021 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Travis Davis (Post 273595)
FIXED!!! It was a bad ignition relay. Runs great now! Thank you again for all the help!

Good news! How did you troubleshoot the problem down to the relay, just trial & error?

Travis Davis 09-05-2021 09:55 PM

I used a hybrid of trial and error. I was running out of parts to rule out. I watched probably a good 5-10 hours of video's on the subjects, hybrids and related subjects. At first I thought the motor was running but it would stall after 15 seconds. Once I learned that the hybrid motor was cranking the engine and it was not actually running I went back to basics looking for air, fuel, spark and compression in the engine. I checked the fuel pump with a gauge I picked up for 30 bucks and it was good, I could tell the engine was getting air because there was no restriction and I had no codes for that. I checked the wiring with a multimeter and all 4 wires had the correct ohms but no voltage. I had already replaced the coils and plugs with new oem coils and plugs before I knew I had a no start rather than a start and stall condition so I knew those were good. I sent the pcm off to be checked a month ago and it checked good so the only thing left was the relay since I had already checked the fuses and they checked good. I just swapped the blower motor relay since it is the exact same relay with the ignition relay and all of the problems transfered to my blower motor but my ICE started right up. I never checked compression because the engine ran good to this point then just quit one day vs an engine with compression problems will probably not be a hybrid and will exhibit other signs such as lack of power, smoke and so on. I did break the golden rule of starting cheap and working your way up but I learned a lot and will know for next time.

AlexK 09-06-2021 04:49 PM

> I just swapped the blower motor relay since it is the exact same relay with the ignition relay and all of the problems transfered to my blower motor but my ICE started right up.

Nobody I've ever seen before has mentioned this and thank you for the effort. It makes sense and you've probably just saved some people a lot of money.

econoline 09-07-2021 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by AlexK (Post 273609)
> I just swapped the blower motor relay since it is the exact same relay with the ignition relay and all of the problems transfered to my blower motor but my ICE started right up.

Nobody I've ever seen before has mentioned this and thank you for the effort. It makes sense and you've probably just saved some people a lot of money.

Years ago someone (GaryG or DesertDog?) recommended carrying a spare relay since most were the exact same PN. I bought one at the dealer and have keep it in the car but never had the chance to swap it in. Really glad this worked out for AlexK.

AlexK 09-07-2021 12:08 PM

I'm going to buy one now but TD was the prizewinner here. This is something everyone should have in the glove compartment.

Travis Davis 09-08-2021 03:32 PM

Thanks AlexK, Yea I hope this helps someone down the road. The Ford Escape Hybrid is a very good car and I think as we keep documenting our maintenance on them we will help dispel a lot of myths and really make them attractive to own for everyone!

Travis Davis 09-08-2021 03:36 PM

Yes but there are 8 of the same relay in the fuse box of the FEH and I think blower as well as wipers relays could be swapped out for something more important like ignition (which is what I did) in a pinch.