Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Codes on all 4 coils with no end in sight (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/codes-all-4-coils-no-end-sight-32768/)

Travis Davis 08-28-2021 01:04 PM

Re: Codes on all 4 coils with no end in sight

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Alex and all,
I have been jobbing hard on this the last few weeks. I think I have watched every one of FordTechMakuloco's videos and I have done a lot of troubleshooting. I have been clearing codes and the only codes that keep coming back (see attachment) are the ignition coil codes (all 4) and the hybrid code Code: P1A0C - Hybrid Powertrain Control Module - Engine Disabled. Thanks to You guys and Fordtechmakuloco I know that the P1A0C code disables the motor. My BSOC is low (about 6%) and my volts are hovering around 295 so this could be part of the issue. I connected a noid light to the #1 coil wire and got no light. Is the hybrid powertrain control module disabling the engine through the coils?

The motor cranks for about 15 seconds but never starts up. I have shot the wires and all checked .2 ohms, I checked fuses and all were good. There is a diode and a relay in the circuit as well as 1 other point of failure in the wiring. I am working my way back into the pcm but taking it slow to make sure I understand what I am doing before I do it. I feel this must be something simple, I am about 50 hours and $300 in with no real smoking gun to track down. I am going to call some shops next week after I aggressively, but carefully, try to figure out why the coils have no spark.

Travis Davis 08-28-2021 01:06 PM

Before this problem started I could use the pedal to get the engine going. Currently, the pedal does nothing.

AlexK 08-31-2021 08:10 PM

> Is the hybrid powertrain control module disabling the engine through the coils?

I think so.

Your battery is also below the 300 volt threshold. I don't see how your engine is "cranking" at all.

Travis Davis 08-31-2021 10:34 PM

Yea I am a little surprised myself.

S Keith 09-01-2021 08:46 AM

If 295V is loaded while the engine is spinning, or the relays are engaged and pulling a small load on the battery, you're technically not below the threshold. A resting voltage of about 304V is a very low state of charge.

If you're not certain you can get the car started within the next 2-3 attempts, I recommend you make plans to charge the battery.

Travis Davis 09-01-2021 10:56 AM

I am calling a few shops to see what they think. It is a 2010 so there is no recharge button. I guess I will have to pull the batt and take it to someone. Even then, not sure that charging it will fix the problem since the same codes are still coming up even after I replaced most of the parts in the affected system. I want to focus on the ignition system one last time. Man working on these hybrids reminds me of learning to be a mechanic 20 years ago and how dumb I was then and am now. lol Thank you for all your help.

S Keith 09-01-2021 11:00 AM

DIY is the far cheaper option:

https://electricvehicleforums.com/fo...ry-jump-31056/

ShadyEscape 09-02-2021 04:55 AM

It needs a recharge no matter what else is done. Dunno if a shop will do this endeavor.

Travis Davis 09-02-2021 02:04 PM

FIXED!!! It was a bad ignition relay. Runs great now! Thank you again for all the help!

S Keith 09-02-2021 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Travis Davis (Post 273595)
FIXED!!! It was a bad ignition relay. Runs great now! Thank you again for all the help!

Awesome!

Run the battery balance function.