Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Ford Escape Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/)
-   -   Clunk sound - terrible shake/shudder on washboard dirt road (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/ford-escape-hybrid-26/clunk-sound-terrible-shake-shudder-washboard-dirt-road-30611/)

Lebdog 12-09-2015 01:57 PM

Clunk sound - terrible shake/shudder on washboard dirt road

I recently purchased a used 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid 2WD (actually my girlfriend did). Well, we got a good price for the car, and hoped we wouldn't suffer terrible problems I have seen reading this forum.

We hear a slight front end clunk (sounds metal on metal, and I even feel it slightly in the steering wheel) when we are traveling less than 10-15 mph and run over bumps. We live on a dirt road, and when we drive over the wash board (repeated small bumps) sections, the clunk becomes a shudder.
We replaced all shocks and struts initially just to freshen up the suspension. We replaced all outer tie rods, the stabilizer links trying to troubleshoot the clunk with out mechanic. Today I even had the mechanic check the sub frame bolts which were perfectly secured. The mechanic is baffled, and so am I.

I think we replaced every suspect component except for the control arms which appear to be fine, even when pried with a pry bar.

Any assistance from prior owners would be greatly appreciated, because I believe this shudder may eventually damage this car if it's not repaired.

Thanks for reading this.

xspirit 12-09-2015 06:37 PM

Re: Clunk sound - terrible shake/shudder on washboard dirt road

This is a long shot, but since you've already checked a lot of things... When parked, try jiggling the steering wheel back and forth less than an inch. By doing this I was able to determine that my '09 FEH had a loose bolt in the steering column. Again, unlikely, but as you said you can't be casual about the steering system.

Lebdog 12-10-2015 09:54 PM

Re: Clunk sound - terrible shake/shudder on washboard dirt road

Thanks XSpirit, I did what you said with the motor turned off and could hear and feel something loose. I really appreciate your I reply, and will have my mechanic get on this. I will let you know how it goes next week;-)