61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:18 AM
HEV's are your friend
Default 61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

Hey guys. I have about 61k on my 06 FEH with the stock EcoConti's on it. The tread on them is showing it is time to change them out, and definitely something I want to do before winter.

I took a look around and while I wasn't unhappy with the stock conti's, I would entertain the idea of a different tire.

I will most likely be ordering from tire-rack, and having them locally installed.

Right now I am looking at these Avon Rangers which seem to have pretty good reviews, despite the fact I have never heard of them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....wall=Blackwall

Consumer Reports rates the Goodyear Fortera HL Edition tires as top rate, however many of the reviews on them lead to concerns about tread life, and tire balance.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....nSpeedRating=S

Anyone have any reccomendations, or things to look out for? I need a bit more aggressive of a tire, as I have 2 jobs that neither close for snow...and I leave at 3:00am for one of them, so a bit before everyone else is out there! I am not considering snow tires, due to the fact I did okay with the stock contis on there, and worst case, I will pickup some simple cable chains.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:35 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit
Default Re: 61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

I have Michelin LTXs on mine. Some one changed them before I bought it. They have 80 psi max pressure rating.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
I have Michelin LTXs on mine. Some one changed them before I bought it. They have 80 psi max pressure rating.
Mark, what pressure do you run in them? The tread design looks a little less all terrain, but I don't need that myself. I've always replaced my stock tires with Michelin, but if I can get better mileage, I may stay with the eco plus. Please tell me more about the Michelin LTX, because I'm interested in the 80psi rating.

I personally would not buy Goodyear with how they've performed for me in the past. Even when I brought up Goodyear tires where I buy, the guy said Goodyear tires are only good for a good year as the name implies. The Goodyear tires that came on my Explorer where so out of round, they had to be indexed on the rims.

GaryG

Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EOppie
Hey guys.

Anyone have any reccomendations, or things to look out for? I need a bit more aggressive of a tire, as I have 2 jobs that neither close for snow...and I leave at 3:00am for one of them, so a bit before everyone else is out there! I am not considering snow tires, due to the fact I did okay with the stock contis on there, and worst case, I will pickup some simple cable chains.

I picked up four new Goodyear Tripletread tires that have the Mountain + Snowflake label. This indicates they are severe winter rated tires that are also rated for 60,000 miles. For 16 years I used snowtires but hated the limited treadwear and felt I was giving up some dry road handling. I will use my EcoPlus tires for like 7 months a year.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Active Enthusiast

Everyone seems to have their own experience with tires, but, before the FEG, I had Goodyears on 4 of my last 5 new cars and they were all great. I got about 90K out of a set of Wranglers on a Ford Ranger and I'm expecting 70-80K out of a set on my Dodge Dakota. The Goodyears were all better than the Michelins I had on the 5th car.

That said, I think I would stick with an eco-tire. Are replacement Contis prohibitively expensive or is the snow performance the issue?

Old 10-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Enthusiast

I pulled my EcoPlus tires w/only 13,000 miles on them. I was having difficulty keeping them balanced and I had about 6 flats and I just thought "screw this" and I replaced them with GoodYear Fortera TripleTreds.

I have only had them a few months, so I can't give the long term review, but so far I really like them.

I liked GoodYear because it's a US company and because the Fortera line seemed to be ok at Consumer Reports, and because they were cheaper than the Michelins at Costco and because I live in a snowy climate so the snowflake logo on the tripetred means something for me.

They weren't cheap... about $720 installed... but I'd do it again.

PS: I haven't noticed any mpg difference between the Contis and the Goodyears. I don't spend a lot of (ok, any) time worrying about how to maximize my mileage. I don't have a scangauge or scantek or whatever. I don't know anything about the L gear. I certainly don't turn my car off and coast. I just drive it. So I end up getting about 30mpg in the summer and 28 mpg in the winter and that hasn't changed. Perhaps if I tried to maximize mpg I would notice the difference.

Last edited by Island Mariner; 10-28-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenG

Are replacement Contis prohibitively expensive or is the snow performance the issue?
Snow performance is the issue I looked at. There is a poster from Rochester New York who has several years experience with the EcoPlus tires in winter conditions and stated he was not impressed. Better safe than sorry.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:07 AM
HEV's are your friend

The snow performance, is "okay" aka, I have never been stuck. The cost is not prohibitive at all, tire rack actually has the stock conti's as the cheapest tire if I remember correctly. I was just looking for something a bit more aggressive in the snow, without having to go to an all out snow tire.

If I really get in deep, I will probably slap on some cable chains (something I am also looking at)

Old 10-31-2007, 07:28 AM
Engineering Professor

I just put new tires on my 2004 Prius (at 99.5k miles). The Prius is not great in snow so I did some research. If you want aggressive, all-weather tires that will actually improve your MPG a little, take a look at the Nokian WR tires from Finland.

JeffD

Old 10-31-2007, 01:43 PM
HEV's are your friend

The Nokians are nice...however they are a winter tire, and I am looking for something that I can run all season.

Quick Reply: 61k and Winter round the corner...New Tire Time!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands