Events & Gatherings Meet with other hybrid enthusiasts from across the country [and world?].

Protocol for MPG contests

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Engineering first
Wink Protocol for MPG contests

There are two independent aspects to MPG testing:

1) Driver skill
2) Vehicle engineering

It would make sense to offer two driving tests, time permitting, with one being a set of identical vehicles driven by skilled drivers and a separate test in which a cadre of 'uniform' drivers operates each car. This lets us measure each in a way that gives reproducable results.

Driver skill contest

In a perfect world, this would be a fleet of identical rental cars. Each would be made as identical as possible in respect to fluids, air and weight. They would be the functional equivalent to identical stock or F1 vehicles. Thus the only differences would be the driver skill.

In an alternative approach, a vehicle simulator would be used. Each contestant would 'drive the simulator' for their score. The nice thing is afterwards, the top "n" contestants might have an actual run-off using the identical cars.

Vehicle engineering

In this test, each submitted vehicle would be put on a dynometer and a team of trained drivers run them through a given set of protocols. The dynometer provides a uniform load within the limits of ambient temperature. The owner/operator would simply provide instructions to the driving team on any unique features or instrumentation of the vehicle.

This approach separates the driving skills from the vehicle engineering and maintenance. It helps us learn what technical enhancements work and those that don't. For comic relief, we'll bring on the magnets and tornado adapters <grins>.

Bob Wilson

Old 07-26-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned
Default If it was a Serious MPG Contest

Ericbecky and Linda (who planned the course for HybridFest), were most concerned with publicity. We are all very familiar with the articles that state hybrids don't get the fuel economy they promise. Part of the purpose was to refute those articles. Granted, the course is not one you drive like typical street drivers, but racing is not typical driving.

When the course was being planned, 110mpg was the highest number I was aware of. I don't think anyone was expecting figures like 117mpg, 121mpg, and over 150mpg! I think it can be certified that steriods played no part in the results.

If it was to be a perfectly level playing field, it would have to be a closed circuit with no public traffic. There would probably be penalities for missing turns, and maybe for warming up the engine prior to the race.

For what it's worth, I blew one turn, going 100 yards off course and finished with 82.9mpg on my Insight. Nobody knew the course route in advance.

It was a demo and a lot of fun.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-26-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: If it was a Serious MPG Contest

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
For what it's worth, I blew one turn, going 100 yards off course and finished with 82.9mpg on my Insight. Nobody knew the course route in advance.
I'm curious. Do you happen to know what the best run was in an HCHII?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
Banned
Default Re: Protocol for MPG contests

Thought I heard 70mpg on an HCH II, but just not sure....

Old 07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned
Default Results, Courtsey of Ericbecky

http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/mpgresults.htm

Insight CVT
Paula Collum OH 59.4
Kevin Moot MN 71.6

Insight 5-speed
Chuck Thomas (Delta Flyer) TX 82.9
Tim Thompson WI 95.6
Justin Fons WI 117.2

Modified Insights
Randall Burkhalter OK 108.5
Mike Dabrowski CT 121.9
Wayne Gerdes (xcel) IL 150+

Civic
Michael Beres (HCH I) MI 68.1
Shane Richardson (HCH II) WI 73.2

Prius
Matt Garrison WI 61.9
Shane Brath WI 68.2
Jim Bolton WI 72.7
Kenneth J. Kueler WI 72.9
Jerad Parish WI 74
Erik Haltrecht ON 82
Wayne Mitchell IL 88.1
Jack Wear ON 94
Tom Zimmerman IL 97.6
Dave Bassage WV 97.9
Al Walker MA 99.2
Dan Kroushl PA 99.9
George Kalkas IL 99.9
Samuel Cooke WI 99.9

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-26-2006 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 01:30 PM
Engineering first
Question Re: Results, Courtsey of Ericbecky

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
http://hybridcars.about.com/od/news/a/mpgresults.htm
. . .
Modified Insights
Randall Burkhalter OK 108.5
Mike Dabrowski CT 121.9
Wayne Gerdes (xcel) IL 150+
. . .
Prius
Matt Garrison WI 61.9
. . .
Dan Kroushl PA 99.9
George Kalkas IL 99.9
Samuel Cooke WI 99.9
What is a "Modified Insight?" I know about the 5th wheel but are these units that have the auxillary, manual control for the IMA? Which one was the 5th wheel?

Were there no NHW11 Prius I in the completition? Just the Prius II?

Bob Wilson

Old 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

More detailed answer later, but the modified Insight has a MIMA hack that allows the Assist to be controled manually. Normally, you have to give a Honda hybrid lots of gas for the Assist to kick in.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:17 PM
Banned
Default More About MIMA

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
What is a "Modified Insight?" I know about the 5th wheel but are these units that have the auxillary, manual control for the IMA? Which one was the 5th wheel?
Randall Burkhalter and Mike Dabrowski were driving Insights with MIMA installed. Mike D. invented MIMA to overide Honda's conservative software defaults for engaging the Assist. Normally the Assist activates when more than 2/3 of the total power is required - typically from a standstill, climbing hills, acceleration. MIMA allows the driver to determine when to use the Assist and when to charge the batteries. Of course, this is not a tool the general public should have - it's for drivers that very attentive.

Take my 25-mile work commute. The first two miles and the last two miles are residential - the rest is freeway. With MIMA, I could use the Assist generously the first two miles and take a load off the ICE while it's warming up, charge the battery pack the next 21 miles on the freeway, use the Assist liberaly the last two miles, to improve fuel economy. Mike D says that Insights have improved their FE about 20-30%. I've entertained thoughts of getting one. One has to consider the risks if the battery pack is overused - $6,500 is a steep bill to replace the battery pack and a couple of units. Picture of Mike D's Insight (with the 5th wheel) here. Also see his site - http://www.99mpg.com/ I think the risk is acceptable in the hands of a good hypermiler that uses the MIMA moderately.

Mike D has a fifth wheel to give the Insight a limited EV capability. It's a spare that works like a landing gear. I think it can get up to 30mph. I'd personally use it only for gridlocked traffic - the situation that absolutely kills Insight FE.

This is the other modified Insight. Note there are no mirrors. The left taillight has a video cam interfaced with a monitor over the dash. The rear windshield wiper and A/C unit is also gone. Billy saves 100 pounds (from 1,800 to 1,700lbs) and lowers the cd from 0.25 to about 0.235. This is the Insight Wayne (xcel) made his 150mpg or better run at HybridFest 2006.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 07-26-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

Correction - don't have the picture of the 5th wheel - yet