Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Website Questions & Input (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/)
-   -   Login suggestions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/login-suggestions-5096/)

tanstaafl14 12-22-2005 07:30 AM

Login suggestions

A couple of login improvements are needed:

1. Put the login form on the home page, so we can sign in immediately.

2. Regardless of what page we're at when we log in, send us back to that page. I often sign in on the "Compare" page in order to enter my latest gas tank data, only to get redirected to the "Discussion" page.

Delta Flyer 12-22-2005 07:56 AM

Probably a Difficult Request

First of all, I'm not a moderator or administrator at GreenHybrid.

I'm just commenting because I have some familiarity with vBulletin.

vBulletin can do a lot of things - I chose it as the forum software for my site.

It is very customizable - www.greenhybrid.com is one of the best jobs on the net in this regard.

Even if Jason upgraded to vBulletin 3.5, I don't think this would be easy. If it could, whatever mods he made would be lost in the next upgrade unless a lot of work was spent.

Possible Workarounds
  • Save the login page and/or home page as a favorite
  • On the login page, click "remember my password"
Hope this was helpful....

Jason 12-22-2005 09:45 AM

Re: Login suggestions

It is true that GreenHybrid has uniquely modified vBulletin to a great extent. It is possible to place a login on the homepage and it is also possible to always redirect to the homepage. The issue I see, however, is that there's no reason to be logged in on the homepage. There's no personal information. I would think it perhaps best to encourage registrations on the homepage, but after logging in would you not want to then go to a more personalized page? As far as being sent to Discuss after logging in at Compare, this must have been an oversight and I'll try to rectify that.

On another note, where in Central Florida are you located? I'm in my hometown Orlando right now.

xcel 12-22-2005 12:19 PM

--

tanstaafl14 12-23-2005 09:58 AM

Answer to xcel: I have the GH home page bookmarked (one bookmark per site is enough, IMHO) and use the RoboForm utility to log in from the "discuss" or "compare" page. (PS -- RoboForm is great!)

Answer to Jason: See the private message I just sent you.

And thanks to everyone for the feedback & suggestions.

xcel 12-23-2005 04:10 PM

--

Civic Duty 12-23-2005 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by xcel
I log into the Discussions Forums - New Posts so it is a minimum of clicks to begin reading the new - daily discussions.

Me too - that's the only way to go. I basically check for activity in GH every time I check my email. One-click shopping, really (or at long as it takes to select my bookmark from Firefox).