Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Website Questions & Input (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/)
-   -   Esthetic - unread postings? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/website-questions-input-29/esthetic-unread-postings-11103/)

bwilson4web 11-21-2006 05:09 AM

Esthetic - unread postings?

Hi,

Please consider increasing the contrast between "unread" and "read" messages in a forum. The little sliver of brown is better than nothing but a little more contrast helps me. I really liked the old "Green" dot. Also, the 'mostly read' icon doesn't make sense because it should have a lot more 'brown' due to having a single memo.

This is not a 'show stopper' but a minor style, 'art' point.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

brick 11-21-2006 05:50 AM

Re: Esthetic - unread postings?

It looks like the subject text is als bolded for unread posts, but it doesn't appear to refresh with each new session. I know that there is an administrative control that allows them to switch that off, forcing the user to "mark forums read" at the close of each session. Maybe that happened here?

Tony 11-21-2006 09:36 AM

Brick - you are correct that unread will also show up in bold.

On the old software, it used to mark all discussions read after you had been inactive on the site for longer than 15 minutes. The down side to that behavior is that if you are reading a discussion, get called away for a bit, and come back, everything is now marked read, even if you were not done reading.

Now, we track every thread read individually for every user. Which means if you read thread one but not thread 2, and come back 4 days later, thread 2 will still show as unread.

It does take a little bit of getting used to, but it should provide a better experience overall. The system does still have a global mark as read - now set at all threads unread after 10 days.

Tony 11-21-2006 10:18 AM

I did revert the Forums - read/not read icons back to the green dot. Those were changed inadvertently during the upgrade.