Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Prius (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/)
-   -   Prius legroom & seat track (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-prius-10/prius-legroom-seat-track-12616/)

tcampb01 03-12-2007 10:32 AM

Prius legroom & seat track

I'm 6'4" but a lot of my extra height is in my torso. My partner is 6'6" and unfortunately for him, much of his extra height is in his legs -- not his torso. This means that while the Prius seems to fit me ok (I wish it had just a tiny bit more legroom), it's definitely cramped for him.

What shocks me about this car is the back seat legroom. I am amazed at how much extra legroom is in the back considering how very little is in the front.

It occurs to me that the seat could definitely stand to slide back an extra few inches.

Has anyone had an experience in asking a custom shop to either move the seat mounts back (or extend the track) or put shims on the front (tipping the front edge of a seat higher has the effect of providing some leg-room relief)??

I haven't looked under the seats but my assumption is that there's no optional mounting position to create more legroom and any changes would require hiring the services of a customization shop.

I love the car, but I'm not impressed with the legroom.

bwilson4web 03-12-2007 12:38 PM

Re: Prius legroom & seat track

Originally Posted by tcampb01 (Post 115532)
. . . while the Prius seems to fit me ok (I wish it had just a tiny bit more legroom), it's definitely cramped for him.
. . .
I haven't looked under the seats but my assumption is that there's no optional mounting position to create more legroom and any changes would require hiring the services of a customization shop.

I love the car, but I'm not impressed with the legroom.

I've had the passenger seat out of my earlier model, NHW11:
http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/pri_RevC_01.jpg

I think it would be fairly straight forward to have someone fabricate seat rails that would give more inches to the rear. In my Prius, only four bolts hold it to the floor. But I've been thinking about replacing the seats.

My goal is to replace the front seats with electric powered seats with more freedom of motion. In particular, I want seat bottom tilt and the ability to get more height. For my wife, this would let the passenger seat more fully recline and a little more padding would be OK but is not critical. The biggest challenge is getting the side-impact airbag interface to work.

GOOD LUCK!

Bob Wilson

Macromage 03-13-2007 07:12 PM

I am considering purchasing a Prius but am also tall 6'3" with a leg to body ratio of 1/1. what are the places on the Prius that are most annoying for taller people? Both driving and front passenger.

Qslugs 03-14-2007 01:39 PM

I was going to buy a prius unitl I drove it. I am 6'1" and most of my height is in my legs. While I fit, there was no extra room. I was thinking if I get in an accident in this thing, I'm going to have some broken legs to deal with. I ended up gettting the hybrid Camry instead. That car has plenty of room. More than I use.

tcampb01 03-14-2007 01:54 PM

It has plenty of headroom if you're tall in the body -- but legroom is a bit of a problem if you've got long legs. I think the drivers side has slightly more room than the passenger side.

Macromage 03-14-2007 02:00 PM

Thank you. I guess the only way to find out is to get in one for a test drive before I buy it.

LOL at the next post. thanks I needed that.

abowles 03-14-2007 06:57 PM

Bob - I just want to know how you get your hands on the steering wheel and your feet on the brakes and accelerator from way back there??

Qslugs 03-15-2007 10:47 AM

Actually, I forgot to mention that part in my previous post. Since the wheel dosen't telescope, I was forced to strech out my arms all the way to reach the wheel. Exactly like your question.

So in essence if I purchased the Prius, I would have had stretched out arms, and cramped up legs.

Yay!

bwilson4web 03-15-2007 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by abowles (Post 116094)
Bob - I just want to know how you get your hands on the steering wheel and your feet on the brakes and accelerator from way back there??

Obviously, I lie on my side and use the right hand for the accelerator and brake and the left hand for the steering. Just turn the rear-view mirror around for a front view and adjust the sides for rear.
http://hiwaay.net/%7Ebzwilson/prius/pri_RevC_01.jpg
Of course my wife claims I lie on all sides, sitting or standing but then we've been married for 30 years.

Bob Wilson

kamsmart 03-16-2007 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by bwilson4web (Post 116231)
Obviously, I lie on my side and use the right hand for the accelerator and brake and the left hand for the steering.

Bob Wilson

Bob, you meant you use the right "foot" and not "hand" for the accelerator and the brake, right?:confused: