Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Highlander Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-highlander-hybrid-31/)
-   -   4-wd system (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-highlander-hybrid-31/4-wd-system-14150/)

JOE540CI 06-24-2007 06:04 PM

4-wd system

I have 2wd and have heard that the 4wd system isnt all that its cracked up to be. A friend said that it gets stuck and stops the car when there is only some mud or light snow at low speeds. anyone have a coment???

FP45 06-24-2007 06:08 PM

Re: 4-wd system

Well its not a 4x4 like my chevy is with locking differentials thats for sure. It works fine in the wet grass and slick mud of Houston. I have not had any problems running ours off road, but then again I am cautious where I take it.

I view it as a non-locking differential 4x4. At best you get 2 wheel drive if the slick mud.

Bob259 06-25-2007 03:02 AM

Works fine in the NE's snow, ice and slush

steepbank 06-25-2007 09:54 PM

After driving a Mazda Van 4 wheel drive (with an optional locking differential) for a number of years, driving the HiHy 4 wheel drive in the Kootenay winter of B.C. '06/07 was a new experince. Toyota calls it an "INTLLIGENT" four wheel drive system but our experience was: The gas engine only drives the front wheels, An electric motor drives the rear wheels to assist the gas engine under various conditions and when asked to do so by a computer.

When I slid off our steep, paved driveway, I could not get any of the wheels to turn until I got out and shoveled out the right front passanger wheel - I think this is because the gas and electric motors cannot react independant of each other. There has to be some forward/backward motion and than the "traction" at each of the four wheels happen - if there is no movement (of all 4 wheels) than there you sit. I AM SURE TOYOTA REPS READ THESE PAGES BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON, DECLINE TO COMMENT - THE VARIOUS CANADIAN TOYOTA DEALERS I HAVE TALKED TO DON'T APPEAR TO UNDERSTAND THE ISSUE - The enginering around the 4 wheel drive model is not what we are used to.

We have adapted and love the vehicle - low emmisions, very good milage, lots of power for passing (but hold on to the steering wheel, when you pull out to pass) and well built.

JOE540CI 06-27-2007 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by steepbank (Post 131320)
After driving a Mazda Van 4 wheel drive (with an optional locking differential) for a number of years, driving the HiHy 4 wheel drive in the Kootenay winter of B.C. '06/07 was a new experince. Toyota calls it an "INTLLIGENT" four wheel drive system but our experience was: The gas engine only drives the front wheels, An electric motor drives the rear wheels to assist the gas engine under various conditions and when asked to do so by a computer.

When I slid off our steep, paved driveway, I could not get any of the wheels to turn until I got out and shoveled out the right front passanger wheel - I think this is because the gas and electric motors cannot react independant of each other. There has to be some forward/backward motion and than the "traction" at each of the four wheels happen - if there is no movement (of all 4 wheels) than there you sit. I AM SURE TOYOTA REPS READ THESE PAGES BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON, DECLINE TO COMMENT - THE VARIOUS CANADIAN TOYOTA DEALERS I HAVE TALKED TO DON'T APPEAR TO UNDERSTAND THE ISSUE - The enginering around the 4 wheel drive model is not what we are used to.

We have adapted and love the vehicle - low emmisions, very good milage, lots of power for passing (but hold on to the steering wheel, when you pull out to pass) and well built.

My friend with a rav-4 (4-wd) said the same thing!