Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Ultra Light Scam (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/ultra-light-scam-13829/)

lzc 06-03-2007 04:50 AM

Re: Ultra Light Scam

One reason Consumer Reports cited for discontinuing decibel readings in its auto tests was the subjective nature of sound. The observations of testers didn't correlate well to objective test results. People simply react differently to different sounds.

I was taken back the first time I heard the engine of the TCH at idle when standing next to it. It was loud, while when sitting inside car I can barely tell if its running.

stevenvillatoro 06-03-2007 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by lzc (Post 127666)
I was taken back the first time I heard the engine of the TCH at idle when standing next to it. It was loud, while when sitting inside car I can barely tell if its running.

Yes! :lightbulb Finally someone has uncovered the real reason that car manufactures decided to put seats on the INSIDE of the car, rather than on the OUTSIDE. ;)

Sooty 06-03-2007 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro (Post 127686)
Yes! :lightbulb Finally someone has uncovered the real reason that car manufactures decided to put seats on the INSIDE of the car, rather than on the OUTSIDE. ;)

True, but there's always someone that wants to ride with the windows or the top down and their head in the wind just like the family dog. :omg::P

SpacenJason 06-03-2007 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Sooty (Post 127715)
True, but there's always someone that wants to ride with the windows or the top down and their head in the wind just like the family dog. :omg::P

Hey, I resemble that remark. Sometimes I drive with the windows down and moon roof open on my back road commute. It's about a 15 mile drive, and I still get great FE. My FE might get better with the windows closed, but with temperatures at 90+, I would be using my AC instead. I did try leaving the windows up and not using the AC, but after I started sweating profusely, I gave in and turned on the AC.

Jason

SPL 06-04-2007 12:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In point of fact, there is quite extensive use made of vibration-deadening pads on the TCH. Take a look at the attached pages BO-12to15.pdf from the "New Car Features Guide."

Stan

daveosborne 06-04-2007 05:25 PM

Good grief! I am horrified to learn that my TCH is actually noisy, not quiet, as I and my passengers had thought!

Guess I'd better get some earplugs.

Darn! And I liked the quiet. Now that it's noisy, well, I'm inconsolable. ;-).

misbe 06-04-2007 06:15 PM

Okay, I give up. You acoustic experts convinced me. I was wrong. The Toyota technician was right, too. He said he didn't notice any extra noise and that's what it's supposed to sound like.

The quantitative measurements can't be trusted, nor can incorrect subjective opinions (the ones that don't agree with yours).

Just to humor me, can you guys post your quantitative measurements (dBA) at 50 mph and above. Do you have cloth or leather seats? What volume do you set your radio at highway speeds? I'd appreciate any input.

stevenvillatoro 06-04-2007 06:54 PM

Quiet. Leather. 21.

LEAKYTCH 06-04-2007 07:30 PM

Interesting and entertaining discussion.

I was surprised at the 69 db reading that some tests have shown for the TCH at 70 mph.

Some luxury cars out there get around 65 db, which is very noticeably quieter since the decibel measurement is logarithmic in nature.

However, overall I would characterize the TCH as a quiet car at cruising speeds. The 4 cylinder will really whine at full acceleration, and that is one of the nice advantages of driving a luxury V-8. But you pay for it on the sticker price and at the pump.

Everything is relative. My other recent cars were a Pontiac minivan and an Honda Accord coupe. The TCH is quiet by comparison. But for somebody who is used to driving an Acura RL or a Lexus LS$$$ it may seem whiny at times.

But then again, I really don't consider the TCH a luxury car. It has some luxury car type options -- like intelligent key, leather seats, etc. But you get what you pay for and for less than $30k you can't expect the pampering of a $50k+ Lexus or Mercedes.;)

daveosborne 06-04-2007 07:46 PM

"But then again, I really don't consider the TCH a luxury car."
I agree with that. When I step on the gas to accelerate fast, there's quite a bit of noise. No Lexus sedan will be that noisy. But for general cruising around town and on the freeway, the car has pleasant sounds. I like the deep rumble of the ICE at low rpms when I'm sailing down freeway descents, and the suburban sounds of almost nothing when the traction battery is providing the tailwinds.

It's a very likeable car. I suspect the next iteration will be even better, darn those Toyota guys. I got my '07 and I'm sticking with it.