Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Two smart keys run each other down? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/two-smart-keys-run-each-other-down-27924/)

jpezz 07-11-2012 05:53 PM

Two smart keys run each other down?

Now that I have two hybrids, I have two smart keys to carry around. If they are in the same pocket, will they run each other's battery down since they are both transmitter/receivers and "see" each other? Or can they both live in peace and harmony? The other pocket is for my smart phone and it probably dislikes the remotes.

Now that I have two hybrids, I have to be concerned that everything lives in harmony. Have a craving to hug elm trees and my wife suddenly started to shop at the food co-op. I intend to write-in Nader's name on the ballot. ;)

schmidtj 07-12-2012 01:35 PM

Re: Two smart keys run each other down?

I carry two Camry Smartkey FOBS in my pocket and have for 5 years. I get about 2.5 years on each battery.
So to answer your question NO two fobs will not shorten the life of the battery to any appreciable degree.
I am told that keeping a smartkey FOB in close proxmitiy to a cell phone can shorten the FOB's battery life.
So if you toss the FOBs and cell phone in a purse or gym bag beware.

jpezz 07-12-2012 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 243371)
I carry two Camry Smartkey FOBS in my pocket and have for 5 years. I get about 2.5 years on each battery.
So to answer your question NO two fobs will not shorten the life of the battery to any appreciable degree.
I am told that keeping a smartkey FOB in close proxmitiy to a cell phone can shorten the FOB's battery life.

Thanks.

SteveHansen 07-12-2012 04:17 PM

Can you have the cars programmed so that one smart key works on both cars?

jpezz 07-12-2012 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by SteveHansen (Post 243375)
Can you have the cars programmed so that one smart key works on both cars?

I wonder. One is a 2009 TCH and the other a 2012 Prius 2.

KenSoren 07-13-2012 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtj (Post 243371)

I recall that being next to a charging cell phone will drain the battery not just being next to a cell phone. I keep my key next to my cell phone every day and it does not seem to affect the battery life.