Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Trunk like not closing easily (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/trunk-like-not-closing-easily-19392/)

haroldo 08-05-2008 03:29 AM

Trunk like not closing easily

Just noticed that if I 'fling' the trunk lid down, it doesn't catch. I have to hold the lid while it closes.
This seems a recent phenomenon.
Is anyone else finding their lids don't catch the first time?

georgie 08-05-2008 06:02 AM

Re: Trunk like not closing easily

Not a big concern.
However I find that if I push the trunk lid down firmly until I feel it latch I don't have a problem with it closing.
I have in the past just kind of given the trunk lid a "shove" to get it closed and that's where I have had a problem with it latching.
:)

haroldo 08-05-2008 06:08 AM

I guess the mechanism wears down over time and requires the extra firmness?

Frodo 08-05-2008 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo (Post 183554)
I guess the mechanism wears down over time and requires the extra firmness?

One thing I noticed on my '08 is a slight misalignment of the trunk lid - 1-2 mm at the top, causing the gaps to be a bit uneven; I'll see about getting it fixed when I take the car in for the first service. Wonder if yours is likewise an alignment issue that's a bit further out than mine?:P

MalkavianX 08-06-2008 05:31 AM

My brand new 09 is very similar. I'm used to a car where the hydraulics in the trunk can't keep it open on its own--in that case you just "fling" it down and the thing slams shut...what comes in the TCH seems much stiffer, so I'm having to get in the habit of pushing it down by hand.

I'm sure at some point the wear will make it shut with less resistance, but how many closings might that take?

haroldo 08-06-2008 12:57 PM

Apparently, when the installer put in the back up sensors (in another thread) the plastic piece in the back wasn't properly reinstalled, so it prevented the easy closing of the trunk.