Toxic cars...HealthyCar.org

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 07:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Toxic cars...HealthyCar.org

Hi Everyone,

While reading the AAA magazine, I came across an article about toxic cars. It pointed me to a Web site, healthycar.org. I checked it out. Here are the results for the TCH.

http://www.healthycar.org/vehicle.de...p?getrecno=184

Old 08-21-2007, 08:18 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!
Default Re: Toxic cars...HealthyCar.org

Well, I am just going to enjoy the hell out of poisoning myself. I LOVE THIS CAR!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

WOW, that was a good find, makes me ALMOST want to switch to a prius with a 1.8
does anyone know if the nonhybrids are pretty much the same as the hybrids? i would assume so but who knows

Old 08-22-2007, 09:34 AM

As far as I know interior is the same in every Camry with one exception: There is leather and there is clothing interior. Now, if I had to speculate, I would think bromine is used as fire retardant and possibly used less in leather equipped car. It seems more expensive cars, those more likely having leather, like Toyota's own Lexus line have much better ratings. In other words I would speculate the listed rating is for non leather Camry and leather equipped cars should have better rating

Old 08-24-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pete4
As far as I know interior is the same in every Camry with one exception: There is leather and there is clothing interior. Now, if I had to speculate, I would think bromine is used as fire retardant and possibly used less in leather equipped car. It seems more expensive cars, those more likely having leather, like Toyota's own Lexus line have much better ratings. In other words I would speculate the listed rating is for non leather Camry and leather equipped cars should have better rating
I agree. The site does not drill down to all the individual options the car could have.

Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by eikiel
WOW, that was a good find, makes me ALMOST want to switch to a prius with a 1.8
does anyone know if the nonhybrids are pretty much the same as the hybrids? i would assume so but who knows
If you go through the site you can look up pretty much any modern car.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

I don't know if I'd get too upset about numbers published by this organization. Their reports give no indication about repeatability of results or experimental error. If you browse through the numbers, you can find different vehicles from the same manufacturer that use the same components (seating, shift *****, for example), yet get radically different numbers in the tests.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by pajasper
I don't know if I'd get too upset about numbers published by this organization. Their reports give no indication about repeatability of results or experimental error. If you browse through the numbers, you can find different vehicles from the same manufacturer that use the same components (seating, shift *****, for example), yet get radically different numbers in the tests.
No, I wouldn't either. Just food for thought. I think with pretty much any new car you are out of luck. Just an interesting find in the latest AAA publication.

Old 08-24-2007, 05:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

Personally I think we are exposed to far too many toxic chemicals in our environment, and are not well informed about what the possible long-term effects are. A lot of people seem to be getting cancer these days and I often wonder if there is a link. As a result, I am careful to always leave my windows cracked when the car is parked in the sun, so the off-gases have a way to leave the car. I also air it out when first getting in whenever it is practical to do so, and drive with the fresh air (not Recirc) setting on the HVAC. I also found that cleaning the windows regularly helped remove the build-up and reduce the smell, which seems to be mostly gone now after 6 months - Yay!