TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

i have been hearing this humming noise. I don't know where exactly its coming from but it seems like from the tires.

all four tires are bridgestone tires

1) i jacked up the car and checked the bearing for play. (Result: NO PLAY)

2) I looked at the brake shield and router is they were touching. (Result: none of the tires had a brake shield touching the rooter)

3) I took it to the dealer and they said that it was the tires and that my tires had been feathering. Even the new one that i got about 3000 miles a go is SUPPOSIDLY feathering according to the dealer (oak lawn toyota dealer in oak lawn, il) (RESULT: SOLUTION BULL **** I BELIEVE)

4) I got home and rotated the tires back to front and front to back and switched the front left one to the right and front right to the left) (RESULT: PROBLEM Still exists + #5 )

5) the humming noise went down a little but its still verrryyy notacable at those speeds.s

6) their is also some vibration that comes and goes as the tire rotates at 60+ i believe ( i will have to check and will get back to you with the specific speed that it occurs)

please if you have any input. I would really appreciate it.

thank you in advance!

Old 10-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

OK,

Not enough info.

Mileage on the car?

If the tires have been replaced, how many miles on the tires?

Did the noise just start very suddenly or did it grow over time?

Do the tires have any unusual wear?

Have you checked the air pressure in the tires? Are they equal and correct?

Are the CV boots intact?

Are the struts good and not leaking? (this will allow a tire to "bounce" more if they are a little out of balance)

Does the sound seem to come from the front or the rear?

Did the sound move when you rotated the tires

Old 10-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

***I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR FORGOT TO MENTION.***

1)Mileage on the car?

A) 52,000 U.S. MILES

2)If the tires have been replaced, how many miles on the tires?

A) Not sure but the tires tres have at least 15000 k left on the really old ones and the other two one is ready to replace and the other is brand new.

3)Did the noise just start very suddenly or did it grow over time?

A) I noticed it a couple of days after i bought the car. while i was driving it alone with no music.

4)Do the tires have any unusual wear?

A) when i run my hand throught the tire tread one way is roughther (highter) then going the other way. (clock wise & counter clock wise)

5)Have you checked the air pressure in the tires? Are they equal and correct?

A) The pressure was low on a couple of the tires but i have put air in all of them to make them all even about 38

6)Are the CV boots intact?

A) i will have to check tomorrow or tuesday

7)Are the struts good and not leaking? (this will allow a tire to "bounce" more if they are a little out of balance)

A) i will have to check

9)Does the sound seem to come from the front or the rear?

A)its seems to be comming from the right side of the car. sounds like from both front and back ( even after i rotated them), but sinse i rotated the tires the sound has gone down a bit ( i dont know if it was because of the car tire pressure was evened out or not)

10)Did the sound move when you rotated the tires

A)from the front nothing but from the back i did notice a break scratech when you rotate comes in and goes if i had to say when rotating the tire i can hear the sound from both back tires. out of 360 about 120 when rotating(it sound like the break pad or something but it goes away after about 10-15 mph.

THANKS FOR THE EXTRA CHECKUP SIGJUSTION. I WILL GET BACK TO THE THREAD AS SOON AS I HAVE HAD THE CHANCE TO CHECK THE STRUTS, SHOCKS, AND BOOTS

THANK YOU

Old 10-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Pragmatist

You might have a friend drive it, while you crawl around to listen from various vantage points. That often helps to locate the source of a sound.

I notice the tire noise a lot, mainly because the rest of the car is so quiet. But also because some of the roads here are paved with large-aggregate top coat. The choice of paving material and application technique definitely affects the sound. The bad part is, of course, that there is nothing you can do about the road surfaces you have to drive on.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you have the OEM Bridgestone Turanza EL400 tires - they are horribly noisy as they wear out. Mine had become very annoying by the time they wore down to 4/32. As to the feathering, the car may be out of alignment.

Old 10-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast
Talking Re: TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

I was driving on the highway today and it looks like the humming sound and vibration also comes from 65 to 80mph.

I have Bridgestone Insignia se200 on all four and i just searched the tires and all the review are horrible. It looks like its very loud and very hard to balance.

I think this is why i cant tell where the noise is coming from because its comming from all of them i think.

i will take it into discount tire because i think i have reached my diagnosing limit only way i will be able to find out is by changing them.

thanks for all of your help guys.

Last edited by atob907; 10-25-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

atob907,

If you are having the same vibration at higher speeds and you have 3 different tire wear ages (one almost worn out, two with some life left and one new) it sounds like tires are the likely problem. You need to replace all 4 if possible and BEFORE you go to the tire store, take a flashlight and look at the struts to see if you see any oil stains from leaking fluid coming out of the top seal and seeping down the tube.

Once it is on the rack, have them check the CV boots but I doubt that is a problem (they will usually start clicking when they go bad). Also have them do an alignment when the new tires go on.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

Hi guys

I am back! I just got done getting my new Good year Fuel max. Replaced all four of them.

THE BULK OF THE NOISE is gone for example 75%. it was coming from the original tires, but the humming sound is still very noticeable at 35 to 46 mph haven't taken it on the highway yet but, i will get my alignment done next and will take it to Toyota if the hovering sound is still their and have them check for the suspension, the rotters, and the anything else to do with the sound.

If you have any thought i would appreciate your input.

thank you for all the help

Last edited by atob907; 10-30-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

got back from alignment and its not the alignment. I personally think that it is the hub bearing starting to go bad. I will take it back to Toyota Monday and have them rediagnose it to see if its the hub bearing, because they just put it on the tires to get my $50 for diagnosing and get me out the door.

thank you

Old 10-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good choice of tire, the Goodyear Fuel Max. Now you should have no noise from the tires, also improved gas mileage and long tire life.

Quick Reply: TCH 07 HUMMING NOISE, between 35 and 46mph

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands