Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Oil pan crush washers... (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/oil-pan-crush-washers-17470/)

UWAdventurer 03-19-2008 04:32 PM

Oil pan crush washers...

What are the oil pan crush washers made of? I will be changing my oil for the first time soon and found a website that had oil pan plugs and crush washers. The washers they listed for the Toyota 12mm plug were actually aluminium. They were 10 cents a piece. Where is a good cheap place to buy these?

GeorgiaHybrid 03-19-2008 04:39 PM

Re: Oil pan crush washers...

The ones I use appear to be aluminum. Most autoparts stores carry them (Advanced Auto, Auto Zone and O'Reilly Auto Parts) and cost 10 to 30 cents each. Cheap insurance although I have never seen a leak due to one not being replaced.

raven77 03-19-2008 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid (Post 165468)
The ones I use appear to be aluminum. Most autoparts stores carry them (Advanced Auto, Auto Zone and O'Reilly Auto Parts) and cost 10 to 30 cents each. Cheap insurance although I have never seen a leak due to one not being replaced.

I have changed my own oil since I started driving and I NEVER replaced one and I never had an oil leak. But like you said, its cheap insurance. I plan to start replacing them with this car.

To D Lake 03-20-2008 07:00 AM

I just did my first oil change a few weeks ago and when I removed the plug, no crush washer on the plug. There is a flat flange on the pan that I thought might be a painted on crush washer, but it wouldn't come off. Put the plug back in, no leaks.

Robb:shade:

UWAdventurer 03-20-2008 03:02 PM

Thanks all, looks like I will see what I find when I change the oil.