Nav Dvd 7.1

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:26 AM
Dazed and Confused
Default Nav Dvd 7.1

I can confirm that version 7.1 has started shipping. We just got our '07 Tundra on Friday, and it came with version 7.1.

There is no I agree screen, and the warning has been minimized to a basic, "You operate this or watch this while driveing, and you can be in aserious accident" message. (not exactly worded like that, but similar.

I have not tried to mess with it while driving yet (wife driving) so I am not sure if it has the same lock out features.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Nav Dvd 7.1

Cool!

...now if we could only get the silly thing from the parts department...!

Dang

Old 09-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dang
Cool!

...now if we could only get the silly thing from the parts department...!

Dang
At a reasonable cost.... I wish it were 50 or 100 bucks...not a few hundred...honestly 50 is enough.

If they got rid of the lock out I would pick it up. But it has to be unlocked for everything. Phone too.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Actually it's $250 I think in U.S. dollars, which is pretty cheap.

I just did a Kenwood I have (also a Denso unit), and it was $450.

Consider yourself lucky that a) they are updating it at all and b) it's "only" $250!

Later!

Dang

Old 09-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

TomTom charges 100 something Euro and I thought that was expensive!

Old 09-24-2007, 06:48 AM

Interesting, my girlfriend just got free map updates on her TomTom...maybe that is only good for a certain period of time?

And to me, 250 is a lot for what Toyota provides. The TomTom has 10x more detailed maps. If I can buy an atlas for less than 10 bucks, the software should be less than 100.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Dazed and Confused

It is locked.

I tried putting a destination in, and no dice.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Interesting, my girlfriend just got free map updates on her TomTom...maybe that is only good for a certain period of time?

And to me, 250 is a lot for what Toyota provides. The TomTom has 10x more detailed maps. If I can buy an atlas for less than 10 bucks, the software should be less than 100.
Yeah I got a free update. It was map version v665. I've switched back to my original v660 because there was no difference in mapping in my area (i.e. errors were still there) and stuff is missing in 665 (like Tim Horton's!! haha). There's a reason why 665 is smaller than 660.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Yeah I got a free update. It was map version v665. I've switched back to my original v660 because there was no difference in mapping in my area (i.e. errors were still there) and stuff is missing in 665 (like Tim Horton's!! haha). There's a reason why 665 is smaller than 660.
Haha, that's good to know! And amen to Tim Horton's...hell yeah!

Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue

Usually updates are free if you buy them within a certain amount of time. For instance if you bought 6.1 today, you'd "probably" get a free upgrade to 7.1, but everyone's policy is different. Also, cost is natually based on demand. There are a lot more Tom Tom units than Toyota Nav systems, so the cost is going to be somewhat higher. As mentioned, $250 is not bad for a car nav disk. Many are higher.

I always get amused with map coverage dicussions. In North America, there are two companies, NavTeq and TeleAtlas that do all the coverage for EVERY unit. The individual vendors can use one or the other, or a mixture of both, but the core data is the same. As well, vendors can choose not to licence certain areas or functions, but a TeleAtlas map is a TeleAtlas map. Toyota (Denso) doesn't do too bad actually. They licence the icons for POI's and display them (unlike Garmin that doesn't display them), as well as phone numbers and addresses which some units display, some do not. (each function is a seperate licence). Another thing you can hit is what one company calls a 2007 map may be another companies 2006 map. They are always behind due to compile time. The maps just being released are the "2006" maps, but some companies will call them 2007. I even saw one "2007" map that actually used the 2005 data, which would of course affect the coverage.

Later!

Dang

Quick Reply: Nav Dvd 7.1

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands