The little back thing in the trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The little back thing in the trunk?

If your wife leaves her purse (and fob) in the trunk, the trunk will not open. If you walk up with your fob, the trunk will not open. The button on the remote still works though.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Professional Hacker

Actually, the one IN the trunk is for detecting the key IN the trunk. This system is VERY limited in range, and can not pass through the metal. There is one just behind the rear bumper cover that detects the key when it's behind the car.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by BOFH
If your wife leaves her purse (and fob) in the trunk, the trunk will not open. If you walk up with your fob, the trunk will not open. The button on the remote still works though.
What happens if there's only one fob and it's in the closed trunk? You should still be able to open the trunk. So it seems strange that if you had a 2nd fob on you that you then would not be able to open the trunk.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
What happens if there's only one fob and it's in the closed trunk? You should still be able to open the trunk. So it seems strange that if you had a 2nd fob on you that you then would not be able to open the trunk.
When I read the first post I went out and tested.

1 fob in the trunk and mine will not open. Bring the second fob to the back and still nothing. I had to use the button on the remote to open the trunk.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

If you've left a fob in the trunk, it will be detected by the sensor in the rear bumper. If you didn't have the additional fob detector in the trunk disabling the hand switch, anyone could come along and open your trunk and gain access to your car.

Unless I'm mistaken, if you do leave a fob in the trunk, you cannot lock the doors using the button on the door handle - you must push the button on the fob or use a mechanical key. This prevents you from accidentally locking your only key in the trunk.

Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by BOFH
When I read the first post I went out and tested.

1 fob in the trunk and mine will not open. Bring the second fob to the back and still nothing. I had to use the button on the remote to open the trunk.
Strange, because I once threw my bag with the only fob in the trunk and shut it. I thought I was screwed but I was able to open the trunk by hand. I may have been beeped at but don't remember.

I'll have to test this out to see if I can reproduce my earlier experience.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Squint
Strange, because I once threw my bag with the only fob in the trunk and shut it. I thought I was screwed but I was able to open the trunk by hand. I may have been beeped at but don't remember.

I'll have to test this out to see if I can reproduce my earlier experience.

You probably opened the trunk from the lever next to the driver's seat.

Old 08-20-2008, 08:10 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thats strange. One time I accidently left the fob in my backpack and then closed the trunk. All the doors were locked (driver, passenger, etc). The car made a long beep and then I was like "oh crap" and was able to open the trunk with the outside handle/button and get my wireless keyfob from the bag in the trunk.
Maybe a lucky break? haha

Old 08-20-2008, 10:55 PM
it's just a car...

On my TCH, the little thing in the back IS the trunk...

Old 08-21-2008, 03:25 AM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by ptung07
Thats strange. One time I accidently left the fob in my backpack and then closed the trunk. All the doors were locked (driver, passenger, etc). The car made a long beep and then I was like "oh crap" and was able to open the trunk with the outside handle/button and get my wireless keyfob from the bag in the trunk.
That's exactly what happened to me.

I just tested this. I opened the trunk, put the fob in, and shut it. The car beeped at me and I was able to open the trunk.

I did not have the 2nd fob with me, all the doors were locked, and the windows were rolled up. I separated the mechanical key from the fob so that I would have an alternate method of unlocking the car but did not have to use it.

Quick Reply: The little back thing in the trunk?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands