Lexus "Smart Entry Key" adaptable to TCH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 10:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Lexus "Smart Entry Key" adaptable to TCH?

Lexus now uses a credit card system for smart entry keys on the latest model Lexi (Lexuses???). I wonder if they can be programmed for the TCH, making it possible to keep the key in your wallet rather than the pocket fob.

Would someone get this for Christmas, please? I don't want my fob to wear a hole in my pocket.

Here is the description from the maker, Denso:
"In the area of convenience, DENSO has developed a new card key, the world's thinnest, for DENSO's smart entry and start system. DENSO achieved this world's first by insert-molding the circuit board with resin, resulting in a thinness of only 3.35 millimeters. This card key also features the world's highest-level bending strength, and the world's first totally waterproof circuit part. Accordingly, the card key can be easily stored in a wallet or card case, and maintains high resistance to bending, breaking and water invasion."

Old 12-23-2006, 02:57 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Lexus "Smart Entry Key" adaptable to TCH?

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
Lexus now uses a credit card system for smart entry keys on the latest model Lexi (Lexuses???). I wonder if they can be programmed for the TCH, making it possible to keep the key in your wallet rather than the pocket fob.

Would someone get this for Christmas, please? I don't want my fob to wear a hole in my pocket.

Here is the description from the maker, Denso:
"In the area of convenience, DENSO has developed a new card key, the world's thinnest, for DENSO's smart entry and start system. DENSO achieved this world's first by insert-molding the circuit board with resin, resulting in a thinness of only 3.35 millimeters. This card key also features the world's highest-level bending strength, and the world's first totally waterproof circuit part. Accordingly, the card key can be easily stored in a wallet or card case, and maintains high resistance to bending, breaking and water invasion."
Sounds like an RFID. Since the Toyota Camry and Prius use an Active (requires battery) system for entry and I saw no mention of a battery in the Lexus card I tend to doubt they are compatable.
Why not just keep the fob in your manpurse like I do?

One additional comment, it would seem there are no buttons on the Lexus system so you'd need to physically press a button or touch something while in range of the RFID (if that in fact is what it uses) to open a door or trunk. No more opening doors in advance for passangers who get to the car before you do using the fob's buttons.

Old 12-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Lexus "Smart Entry Key" adaptable to TCH?

A manpurse? Oh, I hope Santa will be good to me this year...

Old 12-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Electricity Guzzler
Default Re: Lexus "Smart Entry Key" adaptable to TCH?

I saw this credit card "smart entry" system when I was in Japan 2 years ago.
The guy I was talking to had it on his new Honda Accord. He told me it was a $1000 option done a the dealer. No battery, just a card that looked like a credit card in dimensions.