Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Thanks to everyone for the helpful replys. Stan, very good information.
Everyone seems to understand the noise I am describing. It does seem to have increased in volume after my "high speed drive" on the Interstate. I can hear it when the windows are up.

Stan, I wondered about loose windings or laminations causing this. My Dad was in the mining industry and all of the underground vehicles were electric. The noise reminds me of the noise those machines made when they had loose windings or bad brushes in the electric motors. So that is what has me a little worried.

I can't imagine that Toyota would allow an over current condition at high speeds that would damage the motor but.....I don't know.

Do you guys think that I should have the dealer take a look at it? I just have nightmares about some guy banging on the electric motor with a hammer or something.

I have to admit I love the noise, at least I did before it got louder. Now I worry some damage has been done.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Honestly, IMO, if you can be there while a service tech looks at it (and I mean one that knows the TCH) then it might put your mind at ease -- or reveal a true problem. I'm not saying it isn't a problem but I do not have the highest level of faith in the techs.

I also have a hunch that even if there is an issue your only choice might be to wait until it actually breaks. Most of that should be under warranty. I am not sure if it is covered under the 8 year / 150k hybrid system warranty.

It is a tough one and I feel your pain.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Active Enthusiast

Are we talking annoying loud, or just a little louder than a brand new car?

Old 04-25-2007, 07:57 AM
Enthusiast

Kris, I wouldn't quite say annoying but noticably louder than a new car. I'll probably talk to the techs about it. I have to go in for my 5k oil change anyway. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:06 PM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

childers — Why don't you ask your dealer to let you take a test drive in a new car from the lot? Make sure you warm it up completely, and then drive a route back to the dealer. Then do exactly the same with yours. Have the salesman, or technician, or service manager (preferably one of the latter two) along with you for the ride in both cars. After this, both of you should know whether you have a real issue or not.

Stan

Old 04-25-2007, 02:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Driving it along a wall will help increase the volume of said whine.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=childers;121950]A few months ago I (foolishly) did some high speed driving on an Interstate highway. 40 or 50 miles at 90+ MPH. Ever since then I have noticed an increased whinning sound coming from under the hood. /quote]

It's been a long time since I have posted on the forum, but I read a lot. Never been much at talking but great at listening.

I bought my TCH June 5, 2006 and will turn 20,000 miles this week. I drive from Opelika AL to Atlanta GA at least once every week, sometimes more. Going to Atlanta I cruise between 80 to 85 mph. Coming home I run 85 to 100+ because I am in a hurry to get home. I drive as traffic will let me without taking too many risks. It has not changed the whine in my car that I can tell.

By the way at 16,000 my average FE was 38.92 mpg. It fell off some during the winter, it was well into the 39s. I haven't done the math on the last 4000 miles but I doubt that it has changed much over maybe .5 mpg. This is actual mpg and not by the trip computer. Even driving fast, the way you work the go pedal has a lot to do with FE. I can beat the cruise control by 2 to 3 mpg. Cold weather has more effect on FE than AC in ECO mode or not.

Charles G.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

I promised I would report back when I took my TCH in for the oil change and described the increased whine to the tech.

You guys can probably guess the outcome. The tech said that the noise was normal and wasn't any louder than other cars. I didn't have a chance to compare with any other cars so I guess I'll just live with it. At least it has been recorded as a complaint in case something does go wrong.

On the positive side I got some 5W20 oil, tires rotated, they turned off the DRL's (free of charge), AND they fixed the cricket noises in the center console. Not a bad day I would say.

Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 AM
Active Enthusiast

childers,

Why do you desire to not drive with daylight running lights?

Old 05-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abward
childers,

Why do you desire to not drive with daylight running lights?
I'm not convinced they add any safety. Burning the lights all of the time just bugs me. I have noticed that most other Camry's and other cars on the road don't have them on either.

Quick Reply: Increased Whine from Hybrid Synergy Drive System

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands