Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   I test-drove a Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/i-test-drove-camry-hybrid-7126/)

CGameProgrammer 05-03-2006 02:51 PM

Re: Do gauges change colour when you exceed an MPG target?

Originally Posted by TOHHybrid
Let's get back to the topic: the test drive.

Does anyone know if the Optitron gauges have a ring of lights that change color when MPG exceeds a certain amount? I read in a review that they did that, and this is what the Lexus IS gauges do. They look very similar -- actually the entire dashboard does.

Thanks,
SR.

You know, I seem to recall a pale blue ring turning on around all the gauges at some point, but I didn't think anything of it. I guess they do. Do you know at which point they do this? Maybe anything above 40 mpg? My memory is fuzzy on this since I barely paid attention to it.

brick 05-03-2006 03:28 PM

Re: I test-drove a Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
No it won't, since that shows tank mileage, not instantaneous mileage. No TCH will ever get 60 mpg in total, and I'd be lucky to get 40 mpg even on pure highway drives, I suspect. Yet they will and do get 60 mpg for at least brief moments on level highway at 70 mph, according to the gauge. Just like the HCH. It's nothing new.

That's really all I was trying to say. What the TCH can do on average is what matters, what it can do for 20 or 30 seconds really doesn't. Once we get some data from the brave people who buy first we will have the answers that matter.

CGameProgrammer 05-03-2006 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by brick
That's really all I was trying to say. What the TCH can do on average is what matters, what it can do for 20 or 30 seconds really doesn't. Once we get some data from the brave people who buy first we will have the answers that matter.

Yeah, I gave all the data I could collect, nothing more. It's just that people blew it out of proportion. As soon as I get a real chance to see how the car performs, I'll share that information as well.

nbalthaser 05-03-2006 04:05 PM

Yeah, I gave all the data I could collect, nothing more. It's just that people blew it out of proportion. As soon as I get a real chance to see how the car performs, I'll share that information as well.

i think people were just trying to better understand what you were stating. that's all. i hope the camry hybrid does well. it's a beautiful car and gets a lot better mileage than most others on the road. i think however that it may suffer like the accord hybrid. polls are showing americans want the highest mpg possible and will only pay for a hybrid if it gives it to them. my guess is that if honda creates a fit hybrid like we all think and toyota creates the yaris hybrid, those will probably sell quite well.

i'll never understand the minds of people... 38mpg for a car the size and power of the camry is absolutely incredible. none-the-less, people will hide behind the price difference or the "less than the prius mpg" as the reasons for not getting one. go figure.

CGameProgrammer 05-03-2006 04:19 PM

A Fit Hybrid would be an even better Prius competitor than the HCH. Much better.

Jacky 05-03-2006 04:49 PM

It was never about money, and there's no way I'd average 29 mpg with the Camry; every single review got at least 32 mpg and the latest reviews seem to return 37-38 mpg. And I have repeatedly listed many reasons besides tank size why I am buying it.

In fact the "marketing" of the low EPA scores seems to have influenced you guys into ignoring actual results people are getting.

I posted my results. If you want to argue, show me yours.

Gosh...I almost don't want to respond here because it appears that you are set it your ways and it will go in one ear and right out the other... but here goes:

Let's review some other reasons why you are upgrading:
1) the speedometer is has a wide margin; thus, it very accurate
- are you aware that your 06 HCH has a digital speedomater and always displays your exact MPG? plus, it is on a wonderful two-tier dash...
2) more power
- do you plan on towing a boat with the car or something? i have NEVER felt that the 110HP was not enough in my 06 HCH. and i guarantee hybrid drivers couldn't care less about how many seconds it takes the car to go from 0-60MPH. also, are you trying to compensate for something??.... =)
3) you can get a whopping 35MPG on average
- are you aware that the regular Accord/Camry gets 30MPG on average? are you aware that the regular Corolla/Yaris/Civic all get 36MPG on average? those cars are $10K-15K less than the Camry Hybrid!

My personal results: I am currently averaging 47MPG in my HCH. And I anticipate to get around 50MPG in the summer (which is probably 15MPG more than I would be getting in a regular Civic). If you are getting only 38.9MPG in your 06 HCH, you must drive like a retarded mental patient with A.D.D.. =) LOL

I am just trying to understand the real reason a practical person would do what you are doing. When reading your posts, I was almost laughing...

gonavy 05-03-2006 05:15 PM

Stop. Now. Really.

Some people are more opinionated or fix their minds on a particular way of seeing something. Sure it can be frustrating, but so what? Is there really a need to refer to another as "a retarded mental patient with A.D.D."? Is there really any need to respond at all to one poster's OPINION if you have nothing constructive to add? There's a saying I recall learning about saying something nice or not saying anything at all. Ring a bell?

Smiley or no smiley as a deflector, its uncalled for. We're adults. My 2nd grader doesn't talk like that to his peers- maybe that saying from above is still fresh in his head?

So many come here for sound information and stay because the discusisons do not devlove as they often do at yahoo, edmunds, etc. Please keep it that way.

CGameProgrammer 05-03-2006 05:30 PM

Oh hi Jacky, I seem to remember your trolling from when I test-drove a 2005 HCH. You got that thread closed and I suspect you'll do the same thing here. Oh well, I suppose it's lived past its usefulness.

Originally Posted by Jacky
Let's review some other reasons why you are upgrading:
1) the speedometer is has a wide margin; thus, it very accurate

Wrong, that's not a reason why I'm buying it. And no, the HCH does not have a digital instantaneous mileage indicator, just tripmeters, which the TCH also has (at least for the tank).

2) more power
I don't care about horsepower, but speed is fun. And no, speed isn't compensating for anything any more than mileage is.

3) you can get a whopping 35MPG on average
- are you aware that the regular Accord/Camry gets 30MPG on average?
Are you aware the Accord HYBRID averages 29 mpg on this site, a site full of mileage-oriented drivers? In any case my own car averages 39 mpg and I expect I'd get a bit worse with the Camry Hybrid, though 35 might be on the low end, but it depends on how often I'm tempted to floor it. We'll see, this is just conjecture at this point.

I am just trying to understand the real reason a practical person would do what you are doing.
So... you're saying there is no reason whatsoever to buy a Camry Hybrid? That the car should not even exist?

Chilly 05-03-2006 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Jacky
i guarantee hybrid drivers couldn't care less about how many seconds it takes the car to go from 0-60MPH.

I am a Hybrid owner I care about 0-60 times. Guess your guarantee ain't worth much.

gonavy 05-03-2006 06:09 PM

back to the point of the thread...
the testdrive experience of the TCH.