First "Long" trip in my TCH...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default First "Long" trip in my TCH...

My first lengthy drive in my TCH has yielded some nice mileage!

My first tank was about 32.6 MPG, and my second tank average was around 34-35 at about 300 miles in. I took a trip to Northern Michigan that was about 1/2 highway (cruise set at about 75mph as indicated on the speedo), and the other half was mostly 2-lane "highways" with a 55mph limit, where I set the cruise at about 62mph (what I feel is a sweet spot for mileage on my car).

My tank average climbed to about 37.5 by the time I refueled about 50 miles into the return trip. My tank average after getting home (with 150 miles on the trip meter since the last refuel) was 41.5 mpg. Nice!

I am loving this car, and my break-in period has now ended. I have to say that the TCH has a unique exhaust sound when you step on it (to pass, for example).

Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: First "Long" trip in my TCH...

How many miles do you have on your TCH now? I was told by the salesman to take it easy and NOT use cruise control til I hit 1k miles.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by SilverToyCam
How many miles do you have on your TCH now? I was told by the salesman to take it easy and NOT use cruise control til I hit 1k miles.
It now has just over 1000 miles.

My use of cruise was never very long - traffic didn't allow it (especially on the 2-lane roads). I am not worried about it.

Old 07-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

"I have to say that the TCH has a unique exhaust sound when you step on it (to pass, for example)."

-------------------
How is the sound "unique?" (I've only seen TCHs, haven't actually heard one).

Old 07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I heard someone describe it as "motorboating" which I think may be apt. I wonder if someone could post an audio clip in the "Share" section?

Old 07-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by daveosborne
"I have to say that the TCH has a unique exhaust sound when you step on it (to pass, for example)."

-------------------
How is the sound "unique?" (I've only seen TCHs, haven't actually heard one).
It's hard to explain - kind of a deep MMMMWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHH..... sound. Does that help?

Seriously, I would call it a muffled throaty sound. I am curious if the exhaust note of an engine that uses the Atkinson Cycle tends to sound different than the conventional Otto Cycle engines. My understanding is that the intake valve stays open longer, allowing some of the intake charge to reverse flow back into the intake manifold. It seems like this could change the sound of the exhaust, but clearly this is just my own speculation!

Old 07-24-2006, 07:03 PM
WVGasGuy
Smile Re: First "Long" trip in my TCH...

Great to know it has a throaty sound. After giving up my Infiniti V8 (I loved the sound it made) I was sure my TCH sounded like a golf cart so I've been driving with my windows up.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
HSD Organic Interface

One of the more interesting sounds I've noticed is after backing out of my driveway (by this time the ICE has started and is not yet warmed up) and moderately accelerating down the street, for the first 15 or so mph the engine stays at idle for the most part while the battery drives the system. It's kind of interesting to drive away while you can hear the engine just idling.

Old 07-24-2006, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Great to know it has a throaty sound. After giving up my Infiniti V8 (I loved the sound it made) I was sure my TCH sounded like a golf cart so I've been driving with my windows up.
Hehehe...

Maybe "throaty" was the wrong word to use. I have heard that Infiniti V8 (on the FX's), and it does sound pretty cool. I don't think it compares. I describe it from the perspective of the drivers seat - I have no idea what it sounds like from the outside - since I have yet to see one besides mine.

I don't find the sound particularly good or bad - just "unique".