Does your TCH always start when you push the button?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Does your TCH always start when you push the button?

I can't find any rhyme or reason for it, but every once in a while, I push the button to start the car, pull the shift lever back into reverse, and find that the car isn't actually "on".

I SWEAR that my foot was on the brake, but it takes another push to get it started (after putting the transmission back into Park.

I am wondering if I am trying to shift to quickly after I push the button. It is getting cooler now, so maybe it takes longer for the "Ready" light to come on?

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Does your TCH always start when you push the button?

I haven't experienced that, but at the same time I don't touch the shift lever until I confirm that the engine is on. Isn't that the way you're supposed to do it?

Old 10-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wait until I see the "Ready" indicator on the dash before shifting out of park

Old 10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast

Actually you have to wait for the beep and the ready light will light simultaneously. After that go can go, the ICE gas motor will turn on soon after but it's OK if it doesn't as well.
I had to hit the owners manual as well to get the info, as well as a lot of other gadgets with nav.

Old 10-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spiff72
I can't find any rhyme or reason for it, but every once in a while, I push the button to start the car, pull the shift lever back into reverse, and find that the car isn't actually "on".

I SWEAR that my foot was on the brake, but it takes another push to get it started (after putting the transmission back into Park.

I am wondering if I am trying to shift to quickly after I push the button. It is getting cooler now, so maybe it takes longer for the "Ready" light to come on?

Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this...

Thanks!
You must wait by depressing the brake gently for the green light to come on (on/off switch) then make sure the "READY" sign is on followed by a beep... never had an issue to start and stop it.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:00 PM
HSD Organic Interface

That happened to me one or twice in my "early days" because I didn't wait for the ready light. Now I'm in the habit of verifying the ready light is on before shifting out of park.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:12 PM

I used to anticipate the beep and occassionally shifted into gear too soon. Now I don't move the gear lever until I hear the beep and everything's fine.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me several times...shifting to drive too soon. But the display says "You must shift to Park" or something similar, I can't remember the exact wording, to let me know that I was just too impatient. I haven't done it for quite a while.

Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 AM

This happens also to me. I think it's just a timing thing, where I did not hold the START button QUITE long enough. Normal.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:05 AM

I think this might be a bug in the software, that you can take the car out of park, before the system boots up, which will stop the whole start up process and you need to do the whole thing again. Unless it's a feature, most cars have override to take the car out of parking when battery is dead, so you can tow it. The TCH manual mentions something about that as well, but I can't find it if my life depended on it, so maybe this is a way to over ride parking lock even if the system is not booting up for one reason or the other. But that still doesn't solve the problem what to do if the battery is totally dead and you need to put the car in neutral to tow it. There seems to be little hole in the center console that looks like park override but it seems to be non functional.

Quick Reply: Does your TCH always start when you push the button?

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands