disable tc

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 04:09 PM
Enthusiast
Default disable tc

Winter is at our door and last year had a few times that I could have used a way to temp, disable the traction control. I know that the other models can disable by doing a sequence of steps. (Parking brake on to start 2-press brake twice 3- pump parking brake 2 times--tc disabled until restart.
This is not working for the hybrid. Any ideas?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:27 PM
Camry Freak
Default Re: disable tc

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...action+control

Post #5 explains how to do it on a non-hybrid model... not sure if it will work on a hybrid model. It seems like it's a bit different than the method you describe.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Enthusiast

Just gave it a try--No luck trac control stays on, to bad because there are times that tc is a major problem in winter, Wish Toyota would think about the customers living in the snow belt.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Malcontent

Do you have snow tires?

Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, have snows (X-ICE) but even with good snows there are times such as stuck in a snow bank or getting going on a ice patch disabling the tc would make a big difference.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blktoy
Yes, have snows (X-ICE) but even with good snows there are times such as stuck in a snow bank or getting going on a ice patch disabling the tc would make a big difference.
Huh, I haven't had a problem in Central - Northern NY. Actually, I went through last winter with my stock Michelin's and I loved them. I was able to drive normally when others were slipping and sliding everywhere. Even in deep snow.

(It helps that I delivered papers for a few winters in Central NY. That is always before the plows are out. Really sharpened the winter driving skills.)

With that said, I do agree that it would be nice if we could turn it off.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
Enthusiast

No problem while driving it is if you stop on sheet ice wheels will spin and tc engages . You end up not going anywhere fast.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by blktoy
Just gave it a try--No luck trac control stays on, to bad because there are times that tc is a major problem in winter, Wish Toyota would think about the customers living in the snow belt.
For wintertime circumstances Traction Control is only "perceived" as a problem in conditions where it is patently unsafe to drive in any case. The other thing is that with FWD, or even most F/AWD, TC must be designed to be quite a bit more aggressive vs RWD or R/AWD.

But yes, there are, undoubtedly, times when one could make use of TC disabling, but then the manufacturer must take the overall stupidity of John Q Public into consideration.

Porsche allows the driver to disable PSM, Stability control, but it switches back on automatically with even the lightest touch of the brakes. A "like", temporary (say until the next upshift..??), disabling of TC might work safely.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:51 AM

So, the traction control/stability control generally have been a big plus to me, as they make it really easy to navigate on otherwise difficult surfaces. However I have had one incident occur last winter where I sorely wished I could turn it off. I got one wheel stuck in deep snow, and could not for the life of me drive it out. I had to enlsit about four people to push, and there was no way to get the car to help. The wheels simply refused to spin, regardless of how lightly or heavily I stepped on the accelerator. So, I will chime in with those that wish that it could be turned off in the exceptional circumstances where that would be useful.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Pardon my ignorance, but this will be my 1st winter in 15+ years without a 4x4 as our primary vehicle...

Would it work to gently press on the brake to hold the spinning tire to let the one with traction turn?

Last edited by BOFH; 10-22-2008 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: disable tc

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands