A/C question for current owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast
Default A/C question for current owners

I have heard that the TCH A/C does not work well in stop and go traffic. Is this true? What has your experience been?

I also heard that the HCH A/C has it's own compressor to run while stopped so it actually works better. Is this true?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: A/C question for current owners

The TCH compressor is electric and runs great in stop and go traffic.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Yes, the AC unit in the TCH is run by the hybrid system and has no belt connected to the engine drive line. It's run off of the eletrical charge from the generator/motor system. I know the AC system in ECO mode doesn't use much energy.......unless you set it at max cooling. It works great!

Old 01-18-2008, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not true
Whoever made that statement never drove TCH or had broken AC in his. Makes little difference if you're moving or sitting in traffic (albeit there is some difference due to better air flow cooling when moving, also in heavy traffic outside air is locally warmer , being heated by all the cars around you, but that applies to every car on the road), much better than most of the cars I owned before. TCH has ECO switch for better fuel efficiency, but if it's really hot, just turn it off.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 AM

Yeah, whoever said that is very confused. Actually, I thought the early Honda's had a problem where the ac would not work with the engine off.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, here is the source......a honda salesman. I just thought I would get real feedback as I didn't buy that one either.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Fooshe
Ok, here is the source......a honda salesman. I just thought I would get real feedback as I didn't buy that one either.
A Honda salesman told you the TCH's AC doesn't work [well] while stopped?? Oh boy...I really suggest you don't buy from there. You may even want to send them a letter (leaving names out).

Heck. One of the coolest (no pun intended) features of this car is that I can sit in a parking lot waiting for someone, listening to music and running the AC without worrying about killing a 12v battery or wasting mass amounts of gas.

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 01-18-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Enthusiast

I know, I know....I thought it was crap too. I just wanted to see what was said before I let the cat out of the bag.

I have already scratched that dealer off my list and sent a copy of the toyota page on A/C to him for review.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Fooshe
I know, I know....I thought it was crap too. I just wanted to see what was said before I let the cat out of the bag.

I have already scratched that dealer off my list and sent a copy of the toyota page on A/C to him for review.
Nice

Old 01-18-2008, 09:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Like the others said - AC works fine. I live in Nevada and spent several weeks in Yuma, Arizona, this summer (not something I'd recommend) and AC worked fine. I did find that in short city trips in Yuma (120 degrees) I had to turn off the ECO switch to get it to cool faster. This was where I drove 10 minutes, went into store, came back and drove another 10 minutes, etc. Too hot in Yuma to really cook down TCH in 10 minutes (or any car for that matter). In "normal" conditions, around Nevada I always keep it in ECO and never have any problems cooling.

John

Quick Reply: A/C question for current owners

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands