Best speed for EV

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 10:46 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Best speed for EV

So I've had my TCH for about 2 weeks now, and one of the things I've noticed is that my TCH seems to love 60 km/h. Whenever I'm on a flat road, I find that if I accellerate to 60 km/h, and let off the gas pedal a bit, I can maintain the speed on battery. I've tried other speeds and combinations of AC on/off. Thought I just share my findings.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:55 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent
Default Re: Best speed for EV

Originally Posted by beng
So I've had my TCH for about 2 weeks now, and one of the things I've noticed is that my TCH seems to love 60 km/h. Whenever I'm on a flat road, I find that if I accellerate to 60 km/h, and let off the gas pedal a bit, I can maintain the speed on battery. I've tried other speeds and combinations of AC on/off. Thought I just share my findings.
I find 70,400 yards/hr to be best for me.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Lord of Time and Space
Default Re: Best speed for EV

I've found that if the terrain is downhill, flat, or ever so slightly uphill, I can use EV mode at any range of speeds up to about 42mph, using the technique you describe.

EV mode seems to max out around that speed, and beyond that, the ICE turns on, and the MPG meter reads 60mpg (hovering above EV mode).

Not sure why this happens - I recall reading somewhere that this might have to do with keeping the ICE motor synchronized with the transmission at higher speeds in case you do need more power. Can anyone else confirm that?