Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Airbag On/Off Lights Question After Killing Car Battery (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/airbag-off-lights-question-after-killing-car-battery-27437/)

Mario81587 12-07-2011 02:53 PM

Airbag On/Off Lights Question After Killing Car Battery

My friend and I were trying to wire up a rearview camera to my factory nav. I wasn't paying attention to the fact that three hours had gone by and I had left the ignition on (yes I know, stupid of me), the headlights were on, the shifter was in the B position, and I had the parking brake set. Failing to get the camera to work, we put the interior back together and I tried to start the car. At this point, I realized I had drained the battery to the point that all of the lights were very dim, the nav wouldn't turn on, and the car wouldn't start even with multiple attempts. I shut everything off and waited about 10 minutes, then successfully started the car. I notice that now, the "Airbag Off" light does not stay lit up all of the time like it did before this incident. According to my search results, this is the way it is supposed to work. Yet, as previously mentioned, before this incident the "Airbag Off" indicator was always lit up. When there is a peson in the seat, the "Airbag On" light stays on as it's supposed to. So I'm guessing that by nearly killing the battery, I actually fixed a glitch with these indicators? I was also wondering if the Japanese built ones (like mine) always have the "Airbag Off" indicator on if no one is in the passenger seat and the American built ones do not, which would mean that I messed something up by nearly killing the battery.

ukrkoz 12-07-2011 06:48 PM

Re: Airbag On/Off Lights Question After Killing Car Battery

so, what's the question?

ukrkoz 12-07-2011 07:05 PM

oh, and went and started mine. airbag check light came up for about 5 seconds, then vanished. no lights at all. airbag off turns on, when I have something like a briefcase type weight on the seat. it changes to airbag on when there's enough weight for sensors in the cushion to believe there's a human being in that seat.

lincolnshibuya 12-07-2011 07:18 PM

Airbag Off will only light up when a kid or something light (laptop/briefcase) is in the passenger seat (along with the seatbelt alarm)
Airbag On will light up when an adult person (or heavier) is in the passenger seat.

Yep you probably fixed it by accident :)

Mario81587 12-07-2011 08:12 PM

It's strange that it suddenly fixed itself. The "Airbag Off" indicator use to always be lit up, but no seatbelt indicator unless someone actually sat in the seat, in which case the "Airbag On" indicator would light up as it's supposed to. I knew about the whole weight sensor set up in the seat, I just assumed it was normal for that light to always be on when no one was in the seat. Thank you quick response(s)! I wish I could accidentally fix other things this easily, such as getting my rear view camera to work. Maybe one day. :(

ukrkoz 12-08-2011 05:42 PM

yeah.. you welcome... connecting jumper cables in reverse to the battery will fix everything and forever.... just kidding, don't you dare!