Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

The Top Ten Hybrid Myths

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default The Top Ten Hybrid Myths

The Top Ten Hybrid Myths

With more of the gas-electric cars on the road, it's time to dispel some of the misinformation surrounding these alternative vehicles

Five years ago hybrid cars were an unknown commodity. Today vehicles powered by a combination of gasoline and electricity are all the rage. Like any new technology, until you get your hands on it -- in this case, on the steering wheel -- it's hard to get your mind around it.

If you are having a tough time separating hybrid truth from reality, you're not alone. The warp-speed adoption of hybrids into popular culture -- and into hundreds of thousands of American driveways -- has produced more than a little confusion and misinformation. Most industry analysts predict the continued growth of gas-electric vehicles, with estimates ranging from 600,000 to 1,000,000 hybrid sales in the U.S. by 2010, so this is a good time to debunk the 10 most prevalent myths about hybrid cars.
http://yahoo.businessweek.com/autos/...131_870391.htm

Old 01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: The Top Ten Hybrid Myths

It's nice to see information like this in a BusinessWeek context. Even if the author is a confirmed hybrid person, it is good for a well-written presentation like this to get broad exposure.

Thanks for posting the link!

Old 02-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Site Founder

That was a really great article. I particularly like how he addressed the "safety crews" myth. It's something that's been circulating in the news for a year or so because of one under-researched story that got way too much attention.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

The hybrid battery concern was addressed well...

Old 02-01-2006, 01:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

A few months ago someone told me they'd never buy one of "those" cars for safety sake. He thought they still used the lead-acid cells and was afraid of being trapped while swimming in a pool of hydrocloric acid.

I have to admit that doesn't sound appealing but I sure set him straight.

Old 02-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
....He thought they still used the lead-acid cells and was afraid of being trapped while swimming in a pool of hydrocloric acid....
Maybe he was on acid.

Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
A few months ago someone told me they'd never buy one of "those" cars for safety sake. He thought they still used the lead-acid cells and was afraid of being trapped while swimming in a pool of hydrocloric acid.

I have to admit that doesn't sound appealing but I sure set him straight.

LMAO,

I have heard it all, wheres the golf cart batteries? Where do you plug it in?
Wow thats a nice overpriced golf cart.!. How many gerbils are there? If you get in a traffic crash it will explode! My favorite you can't touch the door handles in the rain or you'll get shocked...

The informations out there on these cars, I guess people don't read much..