Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Small-car interest falls with gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 12:46 AM
Wannabe Hypermiler
Default Small-car interest falls with gas prices

USATODAY.com
Small-car interest falls with gas prices
Thursday November 3, 10:39 pm ET

Three popular Internet car-shopping sites report notable drops in users seeking information on gas-electric hybrids and other fuel-efficient cars. Edmunds.com says interest peaked Aug. 29 when Hurricane Katrina hit. That week, 19,500 users went to Edmunds' page on fuel economy. But that's dropped to about 3,000 views a week, the same as it was in early August.

Kelley Blue Book's kbb.com reports that the proportion of site users interested in information about hybrids and economy cars dropped a few percentage points each of the last two months. It wouldn't give details because its survey results aren't final.

Cars.com, partly owned by Gannett, which publishes USA TODAY, says searches for fuel-efficient used cars have fallen, too. The biggest decline is in searches for used Toyota Prius hybrids.
http://biz.yahoo.com/usat/051103/13207328.html

Old 11-06-2005, 04:45 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Small-car interest falls with gas prices

sad, but expected.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:51 AM
Hybrid True Believer

Gee... What a shock... Gasoline drops by $1.00/gallon and Americans forget (overnight) just how fragile and limited our supply chain really is.

The thing these SUV wastrels seem to miss is that the gasoline prices always restabilize at a *higher* price than before the crisis. Sure, $2.49/gallon is better than $4.19/gallon, but it's a lot higher than the $1.69/gallon it was three months ago.

A car with good FE (hybrid or otherwise) is always a logical choice if you want to reduce your exposure to price volitility of an essential product that is becoming increasingly scarce.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:00 AM
my other car is a FJORD

short memories, short attention spans

i would keep mine regardless. i like not contributing so much to big oil, no matter what gas costs.

Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi All:

___Consider looking at gas price declines as an opportunity, not as a shortfall given America’s insatiable demand for gasoline. I was and am still hoping for closer to $2.00 then $4.00 per gallon by Christmas and it appears as if this may be the offing? I have an Acura MDX to get rid of and $1.89 sure would help me move that along at a very nice price once we see our first snowfall here in the Chicago area

___The other opportunity … For those interested in high FE cars (hybrids or non-hybrid’s), the lower gas prices will reduce demand somewhat and make the market place a bit more forgiving. Remember that it was only a few months Pre-Katrina that there was actually a supply of Prius II’s you could pickup off of Toyota lots all over the nation and for less then MSRP. Once we hit $2.30 + and then Katrina/Rita w/ $3.00 +, we moved right back into 3 month waits and MSRP +. If Honda releases the Fit, Nissan the March and Altima Hybrid, and Toyota the Yaris and Camry Hybrid into $1.89/gallon type fuel prices, do you think the marketing powers that be will be a bit more forgiving on the MSRP then if gasoline were at $3.09? I bet Honda, Toyota, and Nissan marketing types are eyeing gasoline prices the same way we do …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Last edited by xcel; 11-06-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:55 AM
now Insight, had an HCH

In my area I gas is a decent price ($2.32) BUT it is still in limited supply. All too often there are stations that run out, I see it evey day.

On another note, my boss just bought a Honda "SUT", Ridgeline. Not a very smart move IMO. I keep trying to do my part promoting FE cars, maybe I've gotten through to some people.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Brains of the Operation

The worst part about your boss' new low-FE purchase is that it's a Honda, so he likely won't be replacing it anytime soon.

Old 11-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Vegetarian

well i'm not searching sites like edmunds anymore because i bought a hybrid (aug. 28th, just in time)! i hope some of those 19k people are in the same boat i am.