Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Pulse & Glide in NASCAR (Dale Earnhardt Jr.)

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Pulse & Glide in NASCAR (Dale Earnhardt Jr.)

I did a search and didn't see this mentioned but apologies to the mods if it's buried somewhere. I searched for glide and NASCAR figuring that would pull out any posts about this.

Originally Posted by Dale Earnhardt Jr.
Knowing the race was going to be extended beyond its scheduled 200 laps, Eury told Earnhardt to shut the engine off and coast whenever he could under the caution flag in a desperate effort to save more gas.

Junior did just that, coasting fast enough at times that he passed the pace car — until NASCAR warned Eury to have Earnhardt cut it out.

“I didn’t know how much they were going to worry about it,” Earnhardt said. “All the cars out there are gassing it, shutting ‘em off, coasting about a half straightaway, cranking ‘em back up, gas it, coast. Everybody’s doing it.
Source:
Dale Earnhardt Jr Hypermiles to Victory in NASCAR Racing by Benjamin Jones (June 17, 2008)
-> http://www.ecomodder.com/blog/2008/0...nascar-racing/