Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Prius driving CHI to NYC

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 11:25 AM
Engineering first
Question Re: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Originally Posted by laurie
not quite double, but to correct your chart, according to wayne he used 8.9 gallons. saying less than 11.3 isn't quite the same. so he's about half of what the reporter used as far as consumption.
All I can go by are the reported facts and data but now you've brought out a problem:

800 miles / 8.9 gallons -> 90.0 MPG

71 MPG - what was reported in the article:
800 miles / 71 MPG -> 11.3 MPG

Ever since I learned long division (and used the calculator on my computer,) the numbers seem to be at odds. I'm confused, which is accurate?

8.9 gallons and 90.0 MPG?
11.3 gallons and 71 MPG?

Personally, the second is realistic.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Originally Posted by laurie
not quite double, but to correct your chart, according to wayne he used 8.9 gallons...
Correct.

It also makes sense since Wayne said he had two gallons left... Frankly, I never managed to stuff more than 11 gallons into the Prius so 11.3 is definitely not right.

MSantos

Old 05-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Originally Posted by msantos
It also makes sense since Wayne said he had two gallons left... Frankly, I never managed to stuff more than 11 gallons into the Prius so 11.3 is definitely not right.
Curious, I thought the relationship was:
  1. MPG = miles / gallons :: 90.0 MPG = 800 mi / 8.9 gal
  2. gallons = miles / MPG :: 11.3 gal = 800 mi / 71 MPG
  3. gallons * MPG = miles :: 8.9 gal * 71 MPG = 632 mi
Bob Wilson

Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Driving in stealth mode

I think we'll have to wait until he actually posts. I just watched the video again and they stated 8.9 gallon @ 71 mpg = 631.9 miles. Then when they were interviewing him they confirmed with him that he went 71 mpg. Before the interviewed Wayne they interview the reporter and confirmed with him that he use 20 gallons @ 45mpg = 900 miles. Obviously the numbers aren't being reported correctly. Did they take different routes at some points? I know someone was mapping out routes and terrain for Wayne.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

The reporter accidently cleared the MFD as he was using it, so his numbers will not be exact

Old 05-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Engineering first

<MEGA-SIGH!>
Oh well, it was good entertainment. Back to my studies.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-20-2008, 07:16 PM
my other car is a FJORD

rather than picking apart the details, can we just agree that this was quite a feat, and shows the driving public how much of a difference how you drive can make to your fuel usage. no need to nitpick the details and throw sarcasm into the mix.

this got a lot of very public attention, and was positive. yes, it was nice it was a prius, but by comparing with someone else who drives more aggressively, it shows what a difference can be had no matter what you drive. this is a message that should be helpful in these days of $4 gas.

and no matter who you are, you have to agree that he has done more for teaching people to improve their fuel economy than anyone else out there.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Yep it shows you don't have to be a hypermiler to get 43 miles per gallon in a hybrid. Too bad it wasn't on an evening news program too, it would probably get even more exposure that way.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coolshock1
Yep it shows you don't have to be a hypermiler to get 43 miles per gallon in a hybrid. Too bad it wasn't on an evening news program too, it would probably get even more exposure that way.
You may be missing the point - the 2008 Prius is rated at 45mpg on the highway and the reporter did not quite get that while Wayne exceeded it by about 58%.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:47 PM
Driving in stealth mode

Your right I did miss that as I didn't know the EPA figures for the Prius. I do know that any person who I have talked about hybrid vehicle with (who don't own one as I don't know anyone else who does) does not know the EPA figures for any of them. When they hear that I have been getting in the 40's lately they are astounded and want to know more. I don't think most non-hybrid and non-hypermilers will catch the point that you pointed out to me.

Thanks for pointing that out to me though.

Quick Reply: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands