Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

New York City Auotshow - reports articles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Engineering first
Default New York City Auotshow - reports articles?

http://www.autoshowny.com/dates/

The 2007 NYIAS is coming back to the Jacob Javits Convention Center from April 6th - 15th, 2007 and we will have some of the hottest cars and trucks ever seen all under one roof. That means more sneak peeks, more brand new '07 & '08 production models and more concept vehicles than ever before.
I was going to post a URL to a New York Times article when I realized we are likely to see many stories from this show. Hopefully some of the folks in that area might drop in an see what is going on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/08/au...w/08PICKS.html

. . .
3. GMC YUKON HYBRID What’s new in environmentally friendly green machines at the auto show? Shockingly little, though General Motors is showing some new hydrids including the 2008 Yukon. This is G.M.’s first full-size S.U.V. hybrid, and it features a two-mode system developed in conjunction with DaimlerChrysler and BMW that results in a mild increase in mileage. The two-mode Yukon hybrid goes on sale late this year.

4. TAXI ’07 Hybrid hunters may be more successful outside the convention hall. This curbside exhibit, organized by the Design Trust for Public Space, demonstrates what the future may hold for the city’s bumblebee-colored taxi fleets.
Taxi 07 is not a static display; the vehicles actually work, and in some cases make runs through Midtown. The exhibit features electric cars, gasoline-electric hybrids and taxis with special features for riders with limited mobility. And be sure to savor this bit of fantasy: the exhibit and the taxis are waiting daily, fair weather or foul — unlike cabs on the real streets of New York. . . .
Sounds like a fun show and I hope some GH folks can visit and report back.

NOTE: I'm especially interested in details about the two-mode transmission. Hopefully this show will let GM release more details. I'm especially interested in the engine side to find out if that is a torque converter that couples to the ICE.

Bob Wilson