Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Mazda Tribute HEV

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 AM
Engineering first
Talking Mazda Tribute HEV

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/...da5-rx-8-more/

Tribute HEV - The Tribute Hybrid Electric Vehicle is a “full” hybrid, capable of running on 100 percent electric power up to approximately 25 mph – maximizing in-city fuel economy and making it one of the least-polluting vehicles sold.
Equipped with standard front-wheel-drive or optional electronic four-wheel-drive, Tribute HEV is available in two trim levels, Touring or Grand Touring. Mirroring design cues shared by its gasoline-powered sibling, Tribute HEV offers a bold, rugged exterior set off by 16-inch alloy wheels and new front and rear fascias, hood, liftgate, body-side molding, power side view mirrors, headlamps, taillamps and standard fog lights.
Highlights of the 2009 Tribute HEV include:
* A new 2.5-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine features Atkinson-cycle combustion for improved efficiency and produces 153 horsepower at 6,000 rpm. At speeds over 25 mph, when maximum acceleration is desired, the 70-kWatt (equivalent to 94 horsepower) electric traction motor also provides an added boost to the drive wheels.
* A generator-motor recharges the batteries, starts the engine and helps regulate how the two propulsion channels blend together in the transaxle.
* A special electronically controlled, continuously variable transmission (eCVT) harnesses internal combustion and electric power sources to drive the vehicle.
* A 330-volt nickel-metal-hydride battery pack located and sealed at the rear load floor stores electrical energy.
* An electronic vehicle system controller manages charging, drive assist and engine-starting functions. This device shuts the engine down during coasting and at stoplights to save fuel. It also converts the traction motor into a generator during braking to help recharge the batteries.
Maybe they 'get it.'

Bob Wilson

Old 07-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Mazda Tribute HEV

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
Don't understand what you mean.... The Tribute has been available in limited quantities for a couple of years now and is a clone of the FEH and MMH.

Whats the "get it" part?

Old 07-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by TeeSter
Don't understand what you mean.... The Tribute has been available in limited quantities for a couple of years now and is a clone of the FEH and MMH.

Whats the "get it" part?
I didn't know. Is this part of a Ford-Mazda partnership? They just re-badge the FEH/MMH? Is this another limited sales area product?

Bob Wilson

Old 07-30-2008, 05:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I didn't know. Is this part of a Ford-Mazda partnership? They just re-badge the FEH/MMH? Is this another limited sales area product?

Bob Wilson
No biggie...

Mazda is 49% owned by Ford (Wikipedia says its 52% then later in the same article says 33.9% so lets just say its a large chunk) and Ford has had an interest in the company for a long time.. That percentage may have changed recently.

They have shared platforms many times, many of the Probes were on the same platform as the Mazda 626 at the time built in Flat Rock Michigan, a plant they "co-own" in a partnership called the AutoAlliance. I drive by it on my way to church all the time.

A great deal of the manual transmissions in the Fords were (and maybe still are) Mazda. A Tempo I drove years ago had a Mazda transmission (boy that thing shifted NICE). The Mazda6 platform is used for the Ford Fusion...

Essentially the Tribute is a rebadge of the Ford Escape..... If you look at the two vehicles there are some pretty significant styling differences... they might even have a different lift gate, but the mechanical elements are the same.

The Hybrid is a limited sales area product... last I knew they were only producing 500 of them for sale in the state of CA and have done it the last couple of years.

Last edited by TeeSter; 07-30-2008 at 05:23 AM.