Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Geez, Bob, could you have picked a more deserving target? Scott is writing for Detroit News, an area that still hasn't adapted to the change of shifting economies of vehicle manufacturing. Scott Burgess must be walking a tightrope, trying to be relevant while not offending a readership that harbors a resentment to foreign imports.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Originally Posted by Rspaight
If anything, the highway EPA number for the hybrid Camry is understated. I got a solid 41 MPG on a recent interstate trek, and that was on a moderately hilly drive at 75 miles per hour.

Plus, the "payback" crowd doesn't have much to complain about with the Camry, since it's actually a bit cheaper than a comparably equipped V6 XLE. ... Ryan
I couldn't agree more. I live in the foothills to the south of Seattle, and even in this hilly communite that I have, I have never failed to get at least 41 mpg since I got the car. That's well above the highway EPA estimate FE and over the lifetime (so far) of the vehicle!

I have this pet theory that the hybrids (all of them) reward smoothness and planning more that comventional cars do in 'normal' driving. I know that if I drive my wife's Subaru using precisely the same technique (insofar as practicle) as in the TCH, and over the same course, I cannot acheive anthing near the same mileage even though the powerplant sizes and vehicle weights are very close. The tradeoff, I think, is that when we use the full extent of the power at our command in a hybrid, then FE suffers somewhat and operating cost goes up to be the same as a conventianal car, or maybe even a little higher.