Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Engineering first
Talking LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...7/1386/METRO05
Wednesday, November 7, 2007
Scott Burgess: Product reviews

GET YOUR GREEN ON: Answers to common questions about hybrids

. . .

Q . Who should consider a hybrid?
A . If more than two-thirds of your time in a car is spent sitting in stop-and-go traffic, then a hybrid is right up your alley. Hybrids get better mileage in the city than on the highway because they can run on electric motors at slow speeds -- typically up to about 25 mph before the gas engine turns on to help power the vehicle. The 2008 Toyota Camry hybrid gets 33 mpg in city driving. The regular Camry with a similar-sized engine gets 21 mpg in the city. Highway numbers, however, are only 3 mpg different, with the hybrid Camry achieving 34 mpg and the regular Camry hitting 31.
. . .
If you're going to buy a hybrid, buy the two-mode system; you'll see a larger mileage savings and the ride is better.
. . .
Stop, stop, stop, my sides are aching!

There is a lot to recommend with the two-mode hybrid but a blanket, "buy the two-mode system" is like saying, "You only need a sledge hammer."

In all seriousness, now that GM has legitimized the full hybrids with their own, a whole lot of auto business reporters and editors are going to discover a new reality that they had been bashing for years and years. But you know, we are an adaptive species . . . let's be charitable . . . after we wipe the smirks off our faces. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 11-08-2007 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

I liked this quote the best though:

"If a hybrid driver tells you he's getting 70 mpg in his stock car, he's lying."

Old 11-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I've seen worse articles, but this one wasn't very well researched. For instance, the author didn't know that the IMA-powered Civic Hybrid actually does quite well at highway speeds. Additionally, a Prius uses a Synergy drive, not 2-mode.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:00 AM
Banned

Maybe this guy plans to do like Madonna and move from Detroit to England. Then he can appear on Top Gear as he is as insultive as Jermey Clarkston, except he is more knowledgable and often is spot on concerning cars.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Wink Re: LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Maybe this guy plans to do like Madonna and move from Detroit to England. Then he can appear on Top Gear as he is as insultive as Jermey Clarkston, except he is more knowledgable and often is spot on concerning cars.
Nah, not England. He is going to go to Germany and defend the new American Hybrids against the German Diesel industry.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:47 PM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by Tochatihu
I liked this quote the best though:

"If a hybrid driver tells you he's getting 70 mpg in his stock car, he's lying."
this line bugged me so much that i had to write back to the author. i have gotten to work with over 70MPG with my HCH-I several times this week. the only non-stock item on it is an engine block heater.

i don't like being called a liar.......

he hasn't bothered to answer, either.

Old 11-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Engineering first
Wink Re: LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Originally Posted by laurie
this line bugged me so much that i had to write back to the author. i have gotten to work with over 70MPG with my HCH-I several times this week. the only non-stock item on it is an engine block heater.

i don't like being called a liar.......

he hasn't bothered to answer, either.
I was thinking about taking the top, +70 MPG car records and posting it to him along with my MPG vs MPH chart . . . but it might not do any good. One might also toss 'a bit of red meat' over the fence to our good friends at CleanMPG.com.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-10-2007, 08:06 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
I was thinking about taking the top, +70 MPG car records and posting it to him along with my MPG vs miles per hour chart . . . but it might not do any good. One might also toss 'a bit of red meat' over the fence to our good friends at CleanMPG.com.

Bob Wilson
too late, bob, that's where i first saw it.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by laurie
too late, bob, that's where i first saw it.
That works for me.

With the recent price hikes and the probability of seeing $4/gal in Jan/Feb, all of the earlier "payback folks" will need a request to 'recalculate' their payback intervals. Only this time, there will be GM two-mode hybrids on the market.

Bob Wilson

Old 11-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Enthusiast

If anything, the highway EPA number for the hybrid Camry is understated. I got a solid 41 MPG on a recent interstate trek, and that was on a moderately hilly drive at 75 MPH.

Plus, the "payback" crowd doesn't have much to complain about with the Camry, since it's actually a bit cheaper than a comparably equipped V6 XLE.

But anyway, more on topic, can anyone explain (or provide a link) to a clear explanation of what GM's two-mode system actually does? As near as I can tell, it operates like a Toyota hybrid with a power-split device at lower speeds, and like a Honda hybrid with a conventional automatic at highway speeds. Is that more or less right? If so, it seems terribly overengineered for passenger vehicle duty, though I guess it makes some sense in a big SUV that's expected to tow stuff. Shame the Yukon/Tahoe is $50K, though.

Ryan

Quick Reply: LMAO: Scott Burgess on Hybrids

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands