Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Hybrids: Save Gas, Loose money (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/hybrids-save-gas-loose-money-6307/)

Hondasucks 03-10-2006 06:27 AM

Re: Hybrids: Save Gas, Loose money

Originally Posted by Sledge
Not only that, but why is it assumed that the whole pack is dead? In EVs that almost never happens. You should be able to open up the battery pack and test each individual cell. It'll take more time, but in the end it'll be *much* cheaper because you'll replace maybe one or two batteries in the pack instead of all of them.

My pack has been giving me trouble for over 20,000km (Almost a year) I paid Alot of money for an extended warrenty which is still very much valid (1500km left) The engine code is 78 for battery pack deterriortion so i will be opting for replacement :)

tanstaafl14 03-13-2006 11:48 AM

Re: Hybrids: Save Gas, Loose money

Originally Posted by williaea
That said - there are a number of small car dealers around the auctions that will act as "buyers representative" at the auctions and buy for cars for you.

Apparently those "buyers' reps" work outside of auctions as well. After listing our old car in the classifieds, a fellow with a business card saying "Consultants -- Brokers" came by saying he might buy it on someone else's behalf. A few days later he called back offering only $1500 (vs. our price of $2500 and KBB retail value of $2800). Methinks he was representing a used-car dealer who wanted to resell it at a hefty profit. As it turned out, I was able to sell it last week to someone else for the asking price.

The "consultant-broker's" excuse for the lowball offer was that model car is no longer being made. Well, I never had any trouble finding parts for it. And if that were a factor, it would have been reflected in the KBB number.