Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid owners are loyal to their brand

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Hybrid owners are loyal to their brand

According to a new study, hybrid owners are very likely to stick with the brand they've got.
74.3% percent of Toyota Prius owners traded their vehicles in for another Toyota vehicle. 41.9% re-acquire a Prius. "Owners of all three Honda-badged hybrids are moreloyal than the typical Honda driver. Six of every 10 owners of the Civic Hybrid and Accord Hybrid trade for another Honda or Acura, a corporate retention rate exceeded only by owners of the Odyssey and Pilot."

Source: Hybrid Owners are Loyal

Yes, it's my site, but I haven't seen the story out elsewhere, yet.

Also, if you want the originating study document: http://www.powerinfonet.com/news/doc...hts-060731.pdf

Old 08-08-2006, 08:57 AM
Enthusiastically Active
Default Re: Hybrid owners are loyal to their brand

I think in general Toyota and Honda owners are very loyal. It is likely the brand, not the hybrid drive train that is responsible for the loyalty.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

How 'loyal' are most people, then? I see the infrequent ad for a discount on the next Ford or whatever for people who own Fords, but it's not like a frequent flyer program or one of those loyalty points clubs- for most people, car buying is a very infrequent and important thing, so rewards for multiple purchases would have to be substantial.

There will always be some people who pick a brand and stick to it, but how typical is that and what's really going on there? (meaning- do repeat buyers come back because of actual loyalty or because of some other consistent factor like price, reputation for safety, quality or durability that leads to the same reasoned choice the next time? Don't many people who own multiple cars own more than one brand, too? So what would that do to the theory?) Just curious.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Active Enthusiast

While that's true, the report points out that the Prius is tops on their list for engendering loyalty.

The table they used isn't going to be formatted correctly, here but...:
Model Model-Level Brand-Level Corporation-Level
Retention Retention Retention
Prius 41.9% 74.3% 78.2%
Avalon 36.1% 64.9% 71.5%
Highlander** 14.1% 63.9% 67.0%
Camry 35.4% 62.2% 64.6%
Echo N/A 54.0% 62.9%
Sienna 28.9% 59.2% 61.5%
RAV4 27.3% 58.7% 61.4%
Toyota Brand 56.4% 60.0%

So, the overall brand loyalty to Toyota was 60%, while the overall brand loyalty for the Prius was 74%. I'd call that significant.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
do repeat buyers come back because of actual loyalty or because of some other consistent factor like price, reputation for safety, quality or durability that leads to the same reasoned choice the next time? Don't many people who own multiple cars own more than one brand, too? So what would that do to the theory?) Just curious.
I think you've hit the nail on head on why people are loyal. Loyalty to a brand is usually a good indication of a companies price, reputation for safety, quality and durability.

Also, someone who has owned a particular brand is more informed the next time. So, if they turn around and purchase from the same company, what does that say?

Multiple car brand households (is that the correct way to put that?) can sometimes be tied to people in the household being loyal to a particular brand.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Hybrid True Believer

I think hybrid loyalty is high because hybrids are over-engineered to the task at hand, thus their failure rates are lower than other types of vehicles. When a car runs well for a REALLY long time (in my case, 110k miles in 4 years), it certainly inspires loyalty!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

Originally Posted by leahbeatle
There will always be some people who pick a brand and stick to it, but how typical is that and what's really going on there? (meaning- do repeat buyers come back because of actual loyalty or because of some other consistent factor like price, reputation for safety, quality or durability that leads to the same reasoned choice the next time? Don't many people who own multiple cars own more than one brand, too? So what would that do to the theory?) Just curious.
I think loyalty begins with individual experience, and could also be influenced by the experience of those they know. Passion seems to override loyalty at times (for say, a sports car). What I don't get is why people stick with loosing brands for the sake of the brand. I really don't know why some car companies still have customers. Of the 6 cars my family (brother, parents, myself) own, 5 are Hondas. Why? Because they have an 11 year track record of virtually trouble-free driving. Chrystler, on the other hand, betrayed me in 1992 with the worst car I've ever owned and service to match. I don't care how good they look now, so long as there is a Honda equivalent to what they offer they'll never see another penny from me. Sometimes I think auto makers just focus on tricking new buyers to their brand, rather than honoring the hard-earned money existing customers have already given to them.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Archslater
It is likely the brand, not the hybrid drive train that is responsible for the loyalty.
Did you even look at the study?

Owners of all three Honda-badged hybrids are more loyal than the typical Honda driver.

Old 08-09-2006, 07:17 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tim
What I don't get is why people stick with losing brands for the sake of the brand.
Part of it is that you become accustomed to a given company's designs. I grew up with Fords, and GM's always feel weird. Everything feels like it's slightly in the wrong place.

And the design is 95% of the reason we got an HCH2 rather than the Prius. The Prius would've been more efficient (we do mostly city driving) and more practical (the hatchback would've been great), but we just couldn't stand Toyota's interior style.