Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Honda's watched from the sidelines for the better part of a decade as the Toyota Prius left its hybrids in the dust to become the must-have ride of the green set. Fed up with being an also-ran, Honda hopes to take down Toyota with an entry-level hybrid that gets 60 mpg and costs about $19,000.

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/08/hondas-gunning.html

Old 08-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Enthusiast
Lightbulb Re: Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Good to hear, hope its flex-fuel (E-85) !

Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Originally Posted by rfruth
Why in the world do you hope it is flex fuel? Right now E85 is about $3.50/gal here and normal gas is $3.80/gal... With a decrease in FE of about 20% that makes E85 much more expensive than normal gas.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Why in the world do you hope it is flex fuel? Right now E85 is about $3.50/gal here and normal gas is $3.80/gal... With a decrease in FE of about 20% that makes E85 much more expensive than normal gas.
I think the focus is to switch to a renewable, domestically produced energy source. I'm not a fan of ethanol, since it simply isn't viable in the long term, but you have to start somewhere.

BioDiesel is a much more likely long term solution, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The price of E85 varies depending upon your location. In the Midwest, it is selling in the $2.75 range. That is nearly a $1.00 a gallon cheaper than 87 octane where I live.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:16 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Not only is E85 cheaper and burn cleaner (less MPG so its 6 of one half dozen of the other) but it helps switch oil dependence from the mideast to the midwest

Old 08-14-2008, 04:31 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

I agree with Robert!

Oh... I also think the Insight is waaay cooler!

Are you SURE that is not a Pruis with black tape?

Old 08-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Originally Posted by rfruth
I think E85 is a joke. All corn ethanol has done is quadrupled the price of groceries over the past 5 years or so.

Old 08-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Originally Posted by Indigo
I think E85 is a joke. All corn ethanol has done is quadrupled the price of groceries over the past 5 years or so.
Of course, anyone who says something like that, only proves their ignorance in the matter.
While this is not an E85 thread, the production of ethanol has raised food prices by single digit percentages. The generally accepted numbers are 3% to 5% affect on food prices.

The price of OIL, NATURAL GAS, and hence ELECTRICITY has doubled or tripled in recently.
And all those are inputs into the production of food.

2 or 3 years ago a BUSHEL of corn ( 56 pounds of corn ) was about $2.50.

Today, a BUSHEL of corn ( 56 pounds of it ) costs about $5.00.

How many pounds a week of corn, or corn products do you eat sir???

If you eat a whopping 56 pounds worth, your weekly food bill just went up $2.50.
I know, you had no idea, and I forgive you.

How much has your weekly gasoline bill gone up by???

Most industry experts will tell you, ethanol production has lowered the price at the pump for everyone. Estimates range from 6 cents per gallon to 30 cents per gallon, on a national average. This will totally cancel out your increase in food bill from the ethanol production, and them some, if you eat less than 56 pounds of corn per week.

I betcha most people use more than 56 pounds of fuel per week, which is about 8 gallons.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Active Enthusiast

while Ethanol is a good subtitute for petrol it does have its disadvantages such as lower power of your vehicle and poorer fuel economy, here Ethonal blend petrol is about 5c/litre cheaper, i wont be putting E10 petrol (10% Ethanol) in my car as i dont think the advantages outweigh the savings.

Quick Reply: Honda Takes Aim at Prius With New $19K Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands