Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Journalism & The Media (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/)
-   -   Honda Plans Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car in 3 to 4 Years (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/journalism-media-33/honda-plans-hydrogen-fuel-cell-car-3-4-years-7805/)

bwilson4web 06-17-2006 10:44 AM

Re: Honda Plans Hydrogen Fuel Cell Car in 3 to 4 Years

Originally Posted by Double-Trinity
. . .The problem with fuel cell laptops would be scaling the fuel cells to a small enough size to be effective against lithium ion. Refilling would be effectively impossible, compared ot simply plugging it in overnight, and the cost of dong so is negligible. Even if the fuel cell provides longer running-time, it would still probably be cheaper to just carry a spare battery. . . .

I am willing to learn but I disagree. The chemistry works the same regardless of the package. If there are elevated temperatures, already ICs are running a temperatures approaching 100 (C) within laptops. As for fueling, scale does not change the problem, just the quantities. But I remain interested in your supporting facts and data.

Thanks,
Bob Wilson

AshenGrey 06-17-2006 07:35 PM

Ya know... I had wondered about the NGV vs FCV efficiency too. It seems to me that a NGV/EV hybrid would be a viable design. But it seems to me that the extra step of NG to H2 to electricity is overly complicated and likely to be quite expensive.

Pravus Prime 06-18-2006 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by msantos
Good point.

However, this is Honda that we're talking about. NOT GM !

Sure they can goof up, but... So far, this once little company has managed to become the largest engine manufacturer in the world (by engineering excellence and technical achievement) and they often bring to market many of their concepts. I certainly don't doubt Honda (or Toyota) at all.
Honda has been earning my respect and that of every market they've entered since their VERY humble beginnings.

If it was GM, Ford or Chrysler ... Then I too, would bet $5.

Regards;

MS

Lest you forget the RAV EV and the EV+, Honda was among the first into the EV market, but where are they now? It's been over six years! Honda killed them off for the most part just like rest.

It's great PR, advertising, and making people look to the future. Getting it to stick is another issue. And EV's are far easier to integrate than hydrogen, EV's already have the infrastructure in place and everyone knows how a battery works (ish, as opposed to FCV). EV recharging stations aren't being barred from cities due to "unreasonable risks" like Hydrogen fueling stations are.

I stand by my statement.

msantos 06-18-2006 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Pravus Prime
Lest you forget the RAV EV and the EV+, Honda was among the first into the EV market, but where are they now? It's been over six years! Honda killed them off for the most part just like rest.

So true. I recall that - and a few others throughout the global market - that is why I said "They can goof up", but even in that instance "once the EV was killed" there was no point continuing pushing a technology that did not even have political support. I believe GM had a popularly perceived LEAD role on this technology initiative. If I recall, Honda was riding the "me too" bus.

I stand by my statement.

Awesome. Differing points of view help complete this great vision of the future we all share and would like to have. I guess only when the future becomes the present will we know for sure.

But, something tells me that if there was ever a self contained "home evergy kit" able to "charge" a vehicle in a manner and with the technology that Honda describes - in the end - it could have enough popular support for it to become commercially viable regardless of the political and regional regulatory barriers that we now face.

Just as we (in north america) saw the news of the first Hybrids being intoduced to Japan's home market first in the late 90's - I would say, that we could be seeing the same pattern happening all over again with this HFC residential bound technology. I for one (and few others I know), would not have any problems acquiring this technology in its first wave: Whenever it arrives to our shores.

As I stated, I personally would have much less concerns if either Honda (or Toyota) LEAD the initiative as they have with the hybrid automobiles we have now. That in my view would be a safer bet than the alternatives.

Best regards;

MS

Adelwyn 06-19-2006 03:31 PM

EV recharging stations aren't being barred from cities due to "unreasonable risks" like Hydrogen fueling stations are.

They are? That's interesting. Where?
It's also stupid. Hydrogen is no more un-safe than gasoline. I mean, geez, gasoline can explode too, and will burn for a very long time. Hydrogen, on the other hand, will explode, but that would be all. No liquid sitting around burning on the ground.

AshenGrey 06-19-2006 03:47 PM

I don't think of hydrogen as being more dangerous than gasoline. But MAN is it hard to produce and store in large quantities. It's also a very "leaky" gas, meaning that it eventually escapes from mearly any container. Moreover, it's a very reactive element, so it has a tendency to become part of some other molecule, and thus no longer usable as pure elemental hydrogen.

Pravus Prime 06-19-2006 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Adelwyn
They are? That's interesting. Where?
It's also stupid. Hydrogen is no more un-safe than gasoline. I mean, geez, gasoline can explode too, and will burn for a very long time. Hydrogen, on the other hand, will explode, but that would be all. No liquid sitting around burning on the ground.

In New York, there are cities that prohibit hydrogen refueling stations after a car company (I want to say Toyota) wanted to do a hydrogen car test there, after Fire Fighter stations complained, and came prepared with how difficult and dangerous a hydrogen station would be (Leaks, large storage problems, and the inevitable 'bad' hydrogen arguement.). There was an article in the NY times probably 8 months ago about it. I would imagine a search in the forums may bring it up. Instead of locally, the Hydrodgen test car drivers had to drive to the manufacturer and fill up on their grounds.

There was a story not that long ago about Ford trying to test some Hydrogen Focus', and ran into some similar problems. The Detroit Free Press ran that story.

DeepMarket 06-21-2006 05:19 PM

Im kinda hoping in 10 years people will be smart enough to stop buying cars from GM ;)

AshenGrey 06-21-2006 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by DeepMarket
Im kinda hoping in 10 years people will be smart enough to stop buying cars from GM ;)

You mean that you DON'T see a future in SUVs that are the size of a 26' Bayliner fishing boat, but with less fuel economy? Or $50,000 SUVs with power-everything, but that falls apart before the owner can finish paying for it? How "unpatriotic", har har! Just remember the letters "WWRLD", which, of course, is "What Would Rush Limbaugh Drive"!

Pravus Prime 06-22-2006 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by AshenGrey
You mean that you DON'T see a future in SUVs that are the size of a 26' Bayliner fishing boat, but with less fuel economy? Or $50,000 SUVs with power-everything, but that falls apart before the owner can finish paying for it? How "unpatriotic", har har! Just remember the letters "WWRLD", which, of course, is "What Would Rush Limbaugh Drive"!

...That was before we found out rain makes it catch fire. :P