Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Flood of E-Mails to CNN/Money Trash GM

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 06:25 PM
Banned
Default Flood of E-Mails to CNN/Money Trash GM

Check out this CNN/Money article about America's disenchatment with GM.

It's no longer hybrid forums saying GM has issues.

Hundreds of e-mailers have told CNN/Money the same thing - GM needs to build fuel-efficient vehicles attractively styled that hold up as well as Asian makes. Many have sworn off buying American cars again.

What puzzels me is why GM seem to ignore this - it reminds be of Marie Anntoinette telling the pheasants to eat cake, before they took off her head. I have two theories. One is upper management is too busy planning their golden parachute to be concerned about the GM Titanic about to go down. Another is both management and labor unwilling to make major sacrifices that are needed to get out of this hole.

What would impress me with GM is if they stopped marketing "if you have *****, you will buy Suburbans and Escalades", and had their management own up to their mismanagement al la Lee Iccoca and backed it up with deeds to indicate GM is going to come around.

Last edited by Delta Flyer; 01-31-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:41 PM
YA RLY.
Default Re: Flood of E-Mails to CNN/Money Trash GM

Pheasants? I think you mean peasants Nice malapropism

Old 01-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sledge
Pheasants? I think you mean peasants Nice malapropism
Yes, I'm a Texan.

No, I'm not related to G. W. Bush.

Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I just got back from the yearly father and son trip to the Houston auto show. GM (mainly Chevrolet) had almost all of their space for SUVs and trucks. I then was at the Ford area and to somewhat the same thing. I did look at the FEH to see if the seats fold down flat, which they do. All in all to me it looked like people were still gawking at the big stuff, not that people weren't checking out the smaller vehicles. It's sad to see people really and I mean really checking out the Hummers. kevin

Last edited by texashchman; 01-31-2006 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:48 AM
Prof. of Hybridology

Ouch.

Old 01-31-2006, 08:41 AM
100% Committed

Hey DF - I've posted this on the Prius Chat site also. It shows well that many Americans are finally coming forth in what they want. This subject tends to spur some controversy among members but it is interesting to see other's recommendations for a solution.

Old 01-31-2006, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Yes, I'm a Texan.

No, I'm not related to G. W. Bush.
Nor is any other Texan, including me. The Bushes are New England Yankees to the core. They're about as Texan as Ted Kennedy. They just moved to Texas to make some bucks. The term for such people is "carpetbaggers."

I was going to make a "pheasant" remark, but Sledge beat me to it.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:06 PM
Banned

Funny thing is I can impersonate #41 better than #43, and I'm at least a 4th generation Texan.

In the book The High and Mighty, it's pointed out that the middle class is becoming smaller, giving Detroit more incentive to make the luxury SUVs. I hope the uproar is finally loud enough GM is finally going to reenter the sedan market with a lot more than smoke and mirrors.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Delta Flyer
Funny thing is I can impersonate #41 better than #43, and I'm at least a 4th generation Texan.
Same here, even though I'm just 1st-generation Texan (my parents were from NM & Colo., though one grandparent was born in Sherman). Have to give Dana Carvey the gold medal for Bush41 impersonation, though.

Of course, any Texan can impersonate Ross Perot without even breaking a sweat!

Old 01-31-2006, 01:14 PM
Hybrid True Believer

Personally, I don't care if GM wants to make big SUVs -- so long as they make them clean and efficient! If they found some way to make a H2 get 30-35 MPG and SLEV I wouldn't get hot under the collar seeing them on the road.

And that's probably GM's biggest problem: they are ACCURATELY seen as a "yesterday's technology" company that is unwilling or afraid to innovate.

Quick Reply: Flood of E-Mails to CNN/Money Trash GM

Contact Us -

• Your Privacy Choices
  • Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands