Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

2 to read

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Old 10-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2 to read

1. E-85 is already a government subsidized product. If it is viable, drop the government subsidies (read: our tax dollars) and let it compete. 20%-30% worse gas mileage and it (without subsidies applied to lower the price at the pump) costs more than regular unleaded gasoline (at this time).

2. Jumping ahead to Congressman Dingell's proposal, let's assume for a second that the $.50 per gallon tax on fuel is applied (in addition to the $50/ton carbon tax). Why in the world would that revenue be applied to "universal healthcare" and any other non renewable energy project? It's typical tax-and-spend economics.

3. I won't even comment on Dingell's mortgage interest tax deduction elimination. Again, he proposes that the money be tossed into the hopper and redistributed at the government's discretion - not 100% applied to the reduction of the "carbon footprint" which is the basis of the tax in the first place!!

Who elected these idiots?

Scott

Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Engineering first

I'm sorry but I can't tell what the NY Times wants. Are they complaining because the proposed CAFE standard isn't high enough?

As for Toyota joining the US automakers in opposing improved US CAFE standards, it really doesn't affect me. The US car companies have and will continue to suffer in the market place . . . of their own choosing. They have earned the right to make a wrong decision and live with the consequences.

I applaud Ford's Escape hybrid and hope to cheer GM's first serious hybrid when the arrive in Huntsville. But having once owned a Chevette, I'm going to remain reticent until I see and test the product. BTW, I have test driven a Ford Escape hybrid and that is one sweet ride.

As a suggestion Mike, you might split these into separate postings under Journalism and follow the posting guidelines by quoting enough to get a sense of each article. Although they share some things in common, I'm not sure we should try to discuss two articles in one thread. There is too much opportunity for confusion.

Bob Wilson

Old 10-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Omnia Gloria Fugit

But having once owned a Chevette
You admit to owning a Chevette?

Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

btw, not for or against the articles, just mentioning them because of their relationship with our forum.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Mark E Smith
You admit to owning a Chevette?
I also spent four years in the Marines . . . but I got better. The Chevette was a gift and lasted five years before my wife managed to decapitate the radiator. Like the Model A Fords, the Chevette taught many valuable lessons about how not to built a car. . .

Bob Wilson