Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Searching for Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Nouveau Performance
Default Searching for Parts

I'm hoping that someone out in carland has info on getting hybrid-specific parts. For those that haven't already seen in my profile, I plan on building a hybrid hot rod. The candidate of choice is my 1954 Studebaker Pickup truck. I'm thinking of using a small, efficient, perhaps air-cooled (maybe not) engine, from a small car or a motorcycle. My design is unique. The engine will not be mechanically connected to the wheels at all. I plan on building some of the stuff from scratch, but I feel it best certain parts be OEM replacement, so I don't have to build again should something fail. I plan for the electric motor to mount directly onto the rear differential, and the system be more user-dependant, (at least during testing anyway)

The goal? To pull a car trailer with a car on it down the interstate for at least an hour at 65MPH and get at least 35 MPG.

Think it can be done?

For anyone that knows where I may source out hybrid specific parts like the NI-MH battery, control box, cabling, flywheel magneto, I'd love to hear from you. You may respond in the thread, or e-mail me direct at Nosmo@Twhakker.com Please put Hybrid Parts in the subject line

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:20 PM
Engineering first
Default Re: Searching for Parts

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the best place to pursue your hobby. Let me suggest visiting some of the Electric Vehicle forums that may have a better list of parts and equipment.

Now if you already have a rear-wheel drive vehicle, there is a company that sells an after-market kit that puts a powerful electric motor and controller in the propeller shaft. But their interest is more in augmenting an existing gas-only vehicle to give is a limited EV-hybrid mode.

As for batteries and controllers, again you'll find a better source in the Electric Vehicle forums.

Perhaps you might give a clue as to the actual vehicle weight and performance you're after. If I were doing it, I would probably start with a front wheel drive vehicle that I could gut the ICE and provide direct drive from an electric motor. I would also replace the rear axle with a motor driven, limited-slip differential. But most of all, I would pay attention to the vehicle mass and maximum power that can drawn from the battery and controller assembly. This dictates the maximum acceleration, especially if a 5th wheel and controls are used to detect tire slip.

As for the gas-engine and generator, this is pretty straight forward. You'll need some care to handle balancing but that should be fairly straight forward.

Personally, I think the right answer is to get a 'run out' Honda Insight. This will give you a minimum weight body that looks 'unassuming.' Then do the motors and control systems and you'll have a silent, road warrior.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson