Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/)
-   -   Hello (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/hello-18270/)

tdifan 05-23-2008 06:49 AM

Hello

Hello my name is Nathan, I am a VW Jetta TDI owner. I am from the Wichita, KS area. I love my TDI and it has treated me well. TDI owners will know what I mean. I was planning on upgrading when the new the diesels came out. Yesterday, I saw that the new mileage numbers show no or very little improvement. I was expecting numbers in the 50's on the highway and 41 on the highway has me rethinking my plans. as I was very disappointed over these numbers. I registered here, because I am considering alternatives to the diesel and hope to get some good info on hybrids here.

bwilson4web 05-23-2008 09:23 AM

Re: Hello

Hi,

Welcome to GreenHybrid.com:

Originally Posted by tdifan (Post 173451)
Hello my name is Nathan, I am a VW Jetta TDI owner. I am from the Wichita, KS area. I love my TDI and it has treated me well. TDI owners will know what I mean. I was planning on upgrading when the new the diesels came out. Yesterday, I saw that the new mileage numbers show no or very little improvement. I was expecting numbers in the 50's on the highway and 41 on the highway has me rethinking my plans. as I was very disappointed over these numbers. I registered here, because I am considering alternatives to the diesel and hope to get some good info on hybrids here.

You may want to wander through the "Database" to see what folks have been getting with their cars. Then if you have specifics, head over to the vehicle specific forums for detailed questions. Folks here are pretty friendly (except for the moderators who love opinions, debates and discussions but not personal attacks or SPAM.)

You might start by describing your typical weekday and weekend driving. Some hybrids are better at one style of driving versus another. Not to worry, folks here are pretty friendly and very helpful.

GOOD LUCK!
Bob Wilson

cbibbs 05-23-2008 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by tdifan (Post 173451)

Were you expecting 50's based on the old way the EPA did its estimates or the new method? The old method method used 60mph as the top speed and the new uses 80mph. It also uses harder acceleration models which has lowered the numbers for most cars. By the new method, a 2005 VW Jetta would only get 38mpg so the 41mpg rating is a 7.5% improvement which is no small feat in 4 short years.

tdifan 05-23-2008 07:52 PM

I was expeting 50 with the new method.