Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Introductions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/)
-   -   Considering my first hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/introductions-23/considering-my-first-hybrid-13426/)

teiresias 05-04-2007 07:05 AM

Considering my first hybrid

Just doing the usual, hey there, how you doing thing, since it's mandatory in forums that have dedicated forums for such things. :)

In any case, I'm currently driving a 2000 Ford Focus that actually hasn't had many issues that are the car's fault (ie. they were accident related - not all my fault, I swear!!), so knock on wood. It still drives fine, but it is getting long in the tooth and having intermitent issues starting up.

I also have an approximately 160mile roundtrip commute each day during the week, so I just passed 200k this week.

In any case, thinking of either a Prius or Civic, with leaning toward the Civic given most people seem to say it's better for long commutes like I have.

So far, the forum has been a great source of info, can't wait to get more involved in the discussion. Thanks guys!

merigayle 05-05-2007 12:24 PM

Re: Considering my first hybrid

If you do not need a family car, the manual Insight would be the best bang for your buck given your extensive commute. You could probably find a nice used one and it would be well worth it, as many people average 70-80 mpg on highway commutes. The Toyotas do better in city/traffic driving, the Hondas do better on highways, imo.

also check out www.insightcentral.net for an all Insight discussion board.

I am obviously biased. BUT a friend of mine with two kids is looking into an Insight just for his commute as their other car is a nice family car.

Pravus Prime 05-05-2007 09:42 PM

Re: Considering my first hybrid

Welcome to GH. Feel free to look around, ask questions, and make (eventually) an informed purchase that you can enjoy having.