Hybrid & Related News New cars, press releases, articles and more. Reply only. Have news?

Honda Won't Sell to Hybrid Rivals

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 01:22 PM
Site Founder

Honda Motor Co., one of only two automakers that sell vehicles powered by a combination of gasoline and electricity, said it would not compete with Toyota Motor Corp. in providing hybrid technology to other companies.

"We don't like to supply other automakers," Honda Chief Executive Takeo Fukui said Friday.

Honda, whose North American headquarters is in Torrance, will try to recoup its investment in the technology with the introduction of a version of the Accord sedan, its third hybrid model in five years.

Toyota has licensing agreements with Ford Motor Co. and Nissan Motor Co.

View original article here.

Old 09-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Site Founder

Haha, I think this is kind of humorous. As far as I knew, Honda didn't conduct nearly the research or development that Toyota did. Their mild hybrid system is easily mimicked so it wouldn't make sense to pursue a license from Honda, anyway! Am I right?

Old 09-11-2004, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jason:

___I think you are exactly correct … When I think about it, Honda is selling its 3.5 L V6 (from the Odyssey, MDX, and Pilot) to GM for its Saturn VUE so I don’t think Mr. Fukui is being entirely forthcoming. I would actually like to see Honda sell their other ICE’s to a number of manufacturers but the Hybrid technology isn’t all that complicated in the manner that they developed it. I doubt most of Honda’s design is even patentable given the assist only nature of their Hybrid system. I know there are patents on Honda’s hybridization but I do not see anywhere near the number that Toyota has placed on the HSD.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net

Old 09-11-2004, 04:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I agree. The simplicity of the system is one of ites best features, though other automakers could copy the set up quite easily.

One thing I think is interesting, I test drove a 2004 CHC and the US part component was 60 or 65% US, and the rest Japanese. I thought that was very interesting.

Old 09-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Site Founder

CHC, or HCH?

Old 09-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Active Enthusiast

HCH -