Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Insight (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-insight-11/)
-   -   Just bought an Insight! (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-insight-11/just-bought-insight-17791/)

tj154906 04-17-2008 03:41 PM

Just bought an Insight!

After quite a while of searching, I've finally purchased an insight.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2363/insight1xh8.jpg

It's a 2000, with a manual transmission...

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/8128/insight6ec5.jpg

... and a professionally installed Jensen sound system.

Anyway, I've been looking to purchase a hybrid car for quite some time, and decided a while back that I wanted an Insight. I found this community today while doing research, so I decided to post.

I don't have the car yet, since I live in Ohio and bought it from a couple in Georgia, but I'm heading down next weekend to get it. I'm terribly excited.

spartybrutus 04-17-2008 05:55 PM

Re: Just bought an Insight!

Congrats - I am jealous! Remember not to crank the sound system when going uphill :)

msantos 04-18-2008 10:03 AM

Oh my... It is a MT Insight !!!!!!

Congratulations on your new beauty. But if you're excited now, just wait until you find out what she can REALLY do!

Cheers;

MSantos

Harold 04-18-2008 11:50 AM

Congrats! Great investment. I wish I had one! Good luck, H

tj154906 04-18-2008 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by msantos (Post 168928)
Oh my... It is a MT Insight !!!!!!

Congratulations on your new beauty. But if you're excited now, just wait until you find out what she can REALLY do!

Cheers;

MSantos

An MT? I'm not sure what that means...

Is that good?

Harold 04-18-2008 05:00 PM

Manual Transmission. H

tj154906 04-18-2008 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Harold (Post 168972)
Manual Transmission. H

wow. I feel stupid.

gpsman1 04-19-2008 09:26 PM

The 5-speed MT is the only way to go IMHO.

If you go with CVT ( auto ) you might as well go for the Prius and get extra seating room, since the MPG is not that different.

In my 5-speed I get 70 MPG in the city with a cold engine in cold weather without even trying. ( with dry roads. This car sucks with snow on the ground, but that is expected )

On a warm engine, I get 83-85 MPG in the city without doing anything special.
Trying hard and using hypermiler techniques, I'm in the 95 to 105 MPG range.

This car is awesome ( and quite comfortable, that surprised me )!
It's a bit hard to get in and out of being so low to the ground, and well, you'd be better off using the walk-up ATM cause you can't reach half the drive-up ones... but it is quite roomy once you are inside of it.

-John

tj154906 04-19-2008 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by gpsman1 (Post 169069)
The 5-speed MT is the only way to go IMHO.

If you go with CVT ( auto ) you might as well go for the Prius and get extra seating room, since the MPG is not that different.

In my 5-speed I get 70 MPG in the city with a cold engine in cold weather without even trying. ( with dry roads. This car sucks with snow on the ground, but that is expected )

On a warm engine, I get 83-85 MPG in the city without doing anything special.
Trying hard and using hypermiler techniques, I'm in the 95 to 105 MPG range.

This car is awesome ( and quite comfortable, that surprised me )!
It's a bit hard to get in and out of being so low to the ground, and well, you'd be better off using the walk-up ATM cause you can't reach half the drive-up ones... but it is quite roomy once you are inside of it.

-John

How do you get such high MPG? The person who I purchased the car from averages in the mid 50's.

Also, I'd like to get the IMA battery looked at before the 10 year/150,000 mile warranty is up. Do you think the addition of the sound system voided the warranty?

gpsman1 04-20-2008 11:15 AM

As long as your stereo AMP is not pulling more than the max. recommended amps for all electrical accessories ( And I don't know what that is ) I do not think the added stereo will void anything.

Want more MPG without much effort?
Make sure you have at least 50psi in your tires.
Want even more MPG?
Drive 5 MPH under the speed limit in town, and 10 MPH under the speed limit on the highway.

75 MPG @ 55 MPH is a reasonable expectation.

This drops from 75 MPG to about 50 MPG if you drive 75.