Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Winter Tires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/winter-tires-16604/)

Peg 01-06-2008 10:58 PM

Winter Tires

I am finding that the 15" all-seasons on my 2008 HCH don't always give great traction on snow. I live in an area that can get quite cold (-30C possible) though it was above freezing recently.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good line of winter tires that will work with a 2008 HCH? Does Honda have a set that they recommend in particular?

Also, any feedback on how it affects the FE when driving with winter tires rather than the all seasons?

Thanks!

msantos 01-07-2008 05:43 AM

Re: Winter Tires

If you live in Canada, Honda dealers usually recommend the Michelin X-Ice tires. Michelin even graces the recommendation with a $100 rebate. The dealers can include the Honda's steel rims and wheel covers as well.

Cheers;

MSantos

pagemap 01-07-2008 06:19 AM

I've been using Bridgestone Blizzak tires and they seem to work great in the snow and ice.

noflash 01-07-2008 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by pagemap (Post 156811)
I've been using Bridgestone Blizzak tires and they seem to work great in the snow and ice.

Ditto.

Harold 01-07-2008 08:23 AM

Any good winter snow tire will work fine. I would not worry to much about brand, they all work well. Just get them on, because the stock tires are not suitable for winter conditions.H

livvie 01-11-2008 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by pagemap (Post 156811)

ditto. No complaints. 5th season (same set) to date with them and no issues (excellent wear if you are good about only using during winter months). I have them mounted on a dedicated set of rims. I picked up a set of alloy rims for the Honda HX (they look great and are light weight). Also, there was not a big hit on mpg (due to the tire/rim combo), I have used them in the summer month as a test and could get very similar numbers to summer set.

Todd 01-21-2008 08:26 AM

Have you ever considered having your existing tires siped? It makes a lot of difference in your winter traction. One of our local tire chain stores does it for $16 per tire...considerably cheaper than new tires, and it's a shame to waste them if they're not worn out.

fanfaron 01-21-2008 02:36 PM

Hi,

I use semperit ice grip. I pay only 65$ for 14" each installed at a local retailer. They are great winter tire. It's made in Germany, if you can find some for the same price, I say go for it. You will not regret it.