Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Replacing the IMA sticks that have sensor wires (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/replacing-ima-sticks-have-sensor-wires-30692/)

jjh1 02-15-2016 05:52 PM

Replacing the IMA sticks that have sensor wires

I don't know if this is HCH1 specific or not but how do you replace the IMA battery sticks that have the sensor wires shrink taped onto them? I've got another of the sensor wire "harnesses" but I'm wondering what to use to attach it to the three sticks appropriately. Thanks in advance.

Jen

jjh1 02-15-2016 06:40 PM

Re: Replacing the IMA sticks that have sensor wires

I guess the above was a very unclear way of asking if anyone knows where to get the shrink tubing that goes over the IMA battery sticks and that is used to hold the heat sensor wires in place? Or does anyone know of something else that works as well?

Thanks,
Jen

S Keith 02-15-2016 07:28 PM

Ah... now I see the purpose for your email.

Box tape is fine.

pasadena_commut 02-17-2016 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 259186)
Box tape is fine.

Really? If by box tape you mean the clear stuff used to seal up cardboard boxes, my experience with it is that it tends to ooze adhesive if it gets warm, and over time it can pop off a box. Not sure how it sticks to a battery stick. Possibly once the taped stick is stuffed into the IMA battery parts of the support around each stick will hold the tape in place, so that even if it loses adhesion, it shouldn't go anywhere. Still, I can imagine a sticky mess once the IMA battery spends some time in a hot car.

S Keith 02-17-2016 01:09 PM

Yes. Sticks like crazy to the PVC shrink tube. I just affixed original battery labels to newly wrapped sticks with packing tape.

If you're really concerned, get the heavier thickness stuff.

NOTE the 64mm shrinkwrap I recommended is a little big for this. You'll want to wrap one entire half of the stick to ensure it stays in place.