Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Oil Change Revisited (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/oil-change-revisited-4468/)

droidicus 11-08-2005 09:36 AM

Re: Oil Change Revisited

Originally Posted by inFiniTE LooP
when i purchased my car i also purchased a "car care service plan" from my dealer, which gives me discounts on all of my services (oil changes, tire rotations, transmission fluid changes, etc.) . it all comes in a booklet and tells me at how many miles i should be coming in.

the first ticket in the booklet is for an oil and filter change and says it should be done at 3790 miles. in the booklet it seems they recommend service every 3750 miles (my car had 40 miles on it when i purchased it).

i just wanted to follow my service plan booklet, should i wait until 5,000 miles then :confused: ?

It is completely up to you, but 3,750 miles is a lot more frequent then the owner's manual for the HCH says you need to do service (the dealer I bought mine from tried to get me on a similar program, they make a LOT of money that way), and it also specifically states that the oil SHOULD NOT be changed before the first service interval (5k for severe driving conditions, 10k for normal driving conditions).

In the end it is up to you, but I always follow the owner's manual recommendations.

~Droid

inFiniTE LooP 11-08-2005 10:13 AM

well i just checked out my manual for myself and sure enough what you said is in there, now i'm wondering what i should do :( . that other thread was quite interesting as well concerning when everyone has been changing their oil, i guess i'll bring it up with my dealer and find out just how far over the mileage can deviate between the booklet and my odometer.

SretiCentV 11-08-2005 10:32 AM

The "free" extended warranty (72k miles) of my HCH is voided if I don't change my oil every 3750 miles as well as have other BS done every 7500 miles (which cost around $150 each time) at the dealership. I'm really wondering if this is worth it or not.

droidicus 11-08-2005 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by SretiCentV
The "free" extended warranty (72k miles) of my HCH is voided if I don't change my oil every 3750 miles as well as have other BS done every 7500 miles (which cost around $150 each time) at the dealership. I'm really wondering if this is worth it or not.

The reason why your dealer gave you that extended warranty for "free" is because you are really paying for it by having all that unnecessary work done on your car... Not to say that the extended warranty isn't a good thing if you engine decides to blow at 70k, but just realize that you are paying for one way or another.

~Droid

SretiCentV 11-08-2005 12:22 PM

I agree that an extended warranty CAN be a good thing but that depends on how you drive. Like if I floor it at green lights or drive crazy in assorted ways, the car will die earlier. I'm no expert so I'm just guessing on that one. All my previous cars, though, lasted a long time and I always sold/donated them before they died.

Wangofree 11-09-2005 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by clayk
I thought you were supposed to wait until 10,000 as well. My 05 HCH has about 6000 on it now. I checked it the other day and the oil appeared dirtier than I normally let my oil get before I change it.

So now I am wondering if I should go ahead and take it in.

Clay

I would definitely get in for an oil change. There are probably a few bits of metal floating around in that original factory oil that needs to be flushed out with your first oil change. I wouldn't wait until 10K. I did mine at the 4,000 mile mark.

rigger 11-09-2005 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Wangofree
I would definitely get in for an oil change. There are probably a few bits of metal floating around in that original factory oil that needs to be flushed out with your first oil change. I wouldn't wait until 10K. I did mine at the 4,000 mile mark.

We've gone through this discussion several times before. The reason it states to wait for your first oil change is Honda uses a "special break in oil", I'll trust the manufacture before I'd trust the dealer for what intervals are recomended. It's their job to milk you for every last penny (not that the manufacture is in business for the same reason).

What lars-ss and droid said is right on target.

Wangofree 11-10-2005 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by rigger
We've gone through this discussion several times before. The reason it states to wait for your first oil change is Honda uses a "special break in oil", I'll trust the manufacture before I'd trust the dealer...
What lars-ss and droid said is right on target.

Yes, we have been through this and will probably continue to go over the great "first oil change" controversy.

Does it really matter when you have your first oil change? In the long run, probably not. Why is that?

1. Most new engines are basically "broken in" right from the factory.
2. The "break in" oil has qualities that help the pistons seat, but after 3,000 miles, you're probably about as "broken in" as you're going to get. If you've varied your speed during this period.
3. Replacing "break in" oil with a high quality 0w20 or 5w20 synthetic oil will start your engine down a long, healthy and happy life.
4. If you do your own oil changes, you are in control, both economically and time management.

Oil is the blood of the engine. The filter "purifies" it, and it's up to you to decide when to have the oil changed. To change it too often is just costly. It won't hurt your engine. To wait and change it too late, and you run the risk of engine wear and premature failure.

Now, here's the "big point", if I had to rely on the dealer or outside source to change my oil, I would opt for longer mileage ranges. 7,500 miles. But since I change my own fluids, using Mobil 1 0w20, I change the fluids on the "severe" schedule at 5,000 miles.

What it comes down to is whatever allows you to sleep at night. :angel:

stoner 11-10-2005 03:56 AM

Chances are the bodywork or other running gear will be dying well before the engine needs reconditioning, that's if you keep your cars that long - most people trade-in for something else within 3 years, so any anal retentive hair splitting over servicing beyond manufacturer recommendations will be for someone elses benefit - who may not look after your car even half as well as you did...