Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Nav Nag Screen (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/nav-nag-screen-6777/)

Anahymbrid 05-30-2006 01:27 AM

Re: Nav Nag Screen

I'd LOVE to see the nag screen gone. If someone (more technical than I) can develop it, I'll be happy to install & test it!!!

Incidentally, I've been wondering if there might be a hardware way of performing this hack. I'm not too familiar with LCD touch screens, but I'm assuming by touching the screen at that specific grid location, some kind of electrical pulse is sent to the NAVI's CPU. Might it be possible to put a hardware tap into the appropriate wire which sends the same voltage pulse at 10 seconds after power on? The trick, of course, is to determine WHAT voltage signal is sent... and which wire gets this signal. Creating a timing circuit to mimic that voltage would be fairly easy. I just have no clue how to figure out what and where the signal is! Unfortunately, I really have no interest in ripping apart my unit to find out! Has anyone ever installed or opened up one of these NAVI units? Is there some big ribbon cable that runs between the LCD and the CPU?

ElanC 05-30-2006 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
I'd LOVE to see the nag screen gone. If someone (more technical than I) can develop it, I'll be happy to install & test it!!!

The nag screen is doubtlessly a nuisance. However, it's probably a cover-up for the time it takes the GPS unit to initialize. That initialization time is probably unavoidable.

The thing I don't understand is why it should automatically go to the nag screen if I just want to see the clock or audio display. Why do I have to wait 20 seconds for the clock to show up when I don't want to use the GPS? Why not display the clock immediately, and let me ask for navigation when I want it?

mickster 05-30-2006 10:56 AM

The only reason the Nag Nav screen is there is to placate the Honda US Lawyers.

Outside the U.S. most navigation screens don't have the warning. But we live in the land of hot coffee on the lap and lawsuits fro millions of dollars. (okay if you actually read the details of the case it was McDonald's arrogance that caused the suit-the woman originally requested her medical costs be covered and the McDonald's store had the coffee at too hot a temperataure above the recommended temp. but McDonald's refused----but I digress)

Welcome to litigious America!

riksmg1 05-31-2006 11:10 AM

I wonder do the HCH2 in Canada have the same on their navagation screen at startup.

ravadac 06-01-2006 04:23 AM

I would bet the canadian honda's have it as well. Looking through the dll, I have found the disclaimer in at least english and french. It looks rather simple to break. It looks like there's an activeState change that occurs when you press the button in navicontrol.dll. I've checked the dependency tree and the hmimanager.dll (where the disclaimer screens are located) is a dependency of the navicontrol.dll. Now to find someone with the developer tools to actually remove it. I can't find an sh-4 disassembler that will actually dissassemble the dll files.

Jayson

msantos 06-05-2006 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by riksmg1
I wonder do the HCH2 in Canada have the same on their navagation screen at startup.

The NAVI is not an option for the entire line of Canadian Civics. However, the Acura CSX does offer the NAVI (as well as leather, HID's and paddle shifters and more) for canadian customers.

regards;

MS

mexiken 06-05-2006 12:27 PM

Jayson,

I have the SH-4 disassembler. If you would like it, let me know and I will e-mail it to you when I get on my home comp. I remember downloading it the day I started working on it. I'm not sure if its going to disassemble the files though, though it should, thats what its called. =) Let me know if you need it, PM me with your e-mail addy. Ciao dude.