Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Honda Civic Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/)
-   -   Naming the HCHII's new "glide" modes (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/honda-civic-hybrid-12/naming-hchiis-new-glide-modes-5089/)

Reynolds 12-22-2005 11:46 AM

Re: Naming the HCHII's new "glide" modes

It was my understanding that most modern FI systems / ECUs enable fuel cut on coast - hybrid or not. I'm going to finally spring for a ScanGauge and see for myself, the Navi in my car notwithstanding - it does peg when I take my foot off the gas, but that's not a definitive indicator, either.

I would think fuel cut would be mandatory with a car designed for FE, if indeed it's not a part of any modern car's fuel map.

Regarding lean-burn in the HCH-II - when I read the technical data on hondacars.com, it mentioned lean-burn existed ('was retained', IIRC) in the 1.3l used in the new HCH. I don't have time to check on it just now, as I have a meeting.

Xcel - I'll reply to your post in the other thread when i get some more time. And it wasn't I who manipulated the star ratings, btw :P

DigitalMan 12-22-2005 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by xcel
___DigitalMan, this is where the HCH-I enters lean-burn and you can maintain this for hours on end with the instantaneous hanging in the 80 mpg range. This is the one failing in regards to the HCH-II (lack of lean-burn but much cleaner emissions with a resultant lower CAT(s) and MAF cost) but if its there, by all means get into and hold on for all its worth! This is what will push your lmpg up to and beyond the best HCH-I’s while out on the highway if in fact it’s a usable mode of operation? I want to hear a lot more about this from you over the next few weeks, OK!!! Pretty Please w/ Sugar on top :D

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

Certainly will let you know. I won't be driving over the holidays (how's that for FE?!), so I'll see what I can learn in the next couple of days and then pick things back up in the new year.

It seems to behave like you described the HCH-I, so maybe the HCH-II has a lean burn mode too. This was how I got that 81MPG 4 mile run earlier this week and so far this tank is shaping up well. Of course the temperature is higher this week too, so we'll need some long term numbers to really know what is going on with the HCH-II. But it is encouraging to see others have found this too.

tko4you 12-22-2005 02:06 PM

I still beleive the original driving technique post utilizing the terminology Zero Fuel Consumption (EV glide) is a good "catch" all term for the purposes of a new viewer or someone researching the HCH.

I am finding the addition of "more" terminology to distinguish differenct phases of the glide is a little more confusing that the simplicity of the initial terminology.

IMHO.

Cheers!

bonvivant 01-08-2006 08:34 PM

I owned a couple of SAAB autos in the 60’s-70’s and they had a drive mode called “free-wheeling”, similar to a ratchet and pawl in the drive train. Back off the gas and the engine would return to idle and car would coast. This saved gas and engine life, theory being that two-cycle engines don’t get good gas mileage nor have much compression braking so let it go back to idle. The engine was lubricated by oil mixed with gasoline so with throttle closed and coasting without “free-wheeling” the 'bottom-end’ of engine would be turning but not getting lube, ( neither would piston rings get lube).

With “freewheeling” and engine-off technology one could accelerate to speed from stoplight, back off throttle, car would coast with engine off and disengaged from drive train.

No regenerative braking so simply coast up to red lights ?

Would require some concentration and different driving style but no regen-battery storage, fancy controllers or etc. Might need controller to disable free-wheeling for compression braking on long down-grades. Maybe I’m off base with this ?